What sealant for joints?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DoubleClutch

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2007
Virginia coast
Hey, all,

I'm replacing the damper housing, catalyst, and refractory chamber (for the catalyst) on my VC Intrepid II woodstove.

Does anyone know what refractory cement or sealant I should use on the internal joints after I put it all back together? I was considering using Hercules furnace cement which dries white/gray but the material that was in there was black. Not sure whether this is because of carbon buildup over the years, or whether I need a different material.

I suspect I might want something that's a little softer / more flexible and less brittle than regular Hercules furnace cement, but I'm not sure what. Owner's manual gives no clue that I can find.

Can anyone advise me what VC would have used originally, or what I should use now?

Thanks,

DC

Some parts are gasketed and some use cement. Any furnace cement will work, I prefer cement that’s from SBI, you’ll only find that at a hearth store. Rutland is the most common, never heard of Hercules.

Hey, all,

I'm replacing the damper housing, catalyst, and refractory chamber (for the catalyst) on my VC Intrepid II woodstove.

Does anyone know what refractory cement or sealant I should use on the internal joints after I put it all back together?

DC

I just rebuilt my VC Resolute Acclaim https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/rebuilding-vc-resolute-acclaim.169932/ and used Imperial Hi-Temp Furnace Cement in the seams that I could see. Haven't fired it up yet.

Some parts are gasketed and some use cement.
I just learned (in another thread) that cement doesn't work in places where there's lots of expansion/contraction. It just pulverizes the cement and turns it into useless powder. Need to use gasket instead. It's around the pipe where it goes into my flue collar. I'm going to get some thin gasket rope and cram it in there.

I just learned (in another thread) that cement doesn't work in places where there's lots of expansion/contraction. It just pulverizes the cement and turns it into useless powder. Need to use gasket instead. It's around the pipe where it goes into my flue collar. I'm going to get some thin gasket rope and cram it in there.
That’s true. Cement is used between 2 pieces that are fastened together mechanically. Not just smeared on a surface. Not much gasket was used on older cast iron stoves.

I used Rutland when I rebuilt my VC Dutchwest. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/dutchwest-xl-2462-rebuild.151340 I think it is very similar to the original cement used. I had to do mine a second time in order to replace a warped inner top. The cement held up very well. It will crack when bolts are loosened to move the parts, but until then it was quite solid. It gets like ceramic and needs to be chiseled out of the grooves. I then wire brushed to clean out as close to bare metal as possible.

It should be obvious what gets cement and what gets gasket...unless someone worked on it previous. If you can find a parts diagram of your stove it will show where the gaskets went. Every remaining joint that closes off the fire box must be sealed with cement.

Reactions: DoubleClutch