What size liner should I use 5.5" or a 6"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
So the inner measurements of my clay liner are 6-1/2" x 10-1/2". The length from the top of the chimney to the bottom of the hearth, or where the stove insert will sit, is 15'-6". The fireplace insert, which is an 1402 Napolen stove, called out a 6" diameter stove pipe. My question is should I use a 6" or a 5.5" diameter flex liner? I'll assume there exists an reducer fitting? If I purchase a 6" liner I don't think I'll have enough wall clearance to add an insulation wrap kit.

Thanks
Frank

I had the same diameter chimney as you and couldn't get a 6" down, kept hitting mortar and have a small offset. I ended up going with a 5.5" and draft is great, sometimes too strong. Had to install pipe damper to slow her down.

another option, and the one I use on most inserts, is to buy an ovalized flex liner. It will fit easily down your chimey, they can ovalize it down to 4" and use an adaptor to fit the 6" stove top. Just thought I'd throw that out there

Same here as Todd. I put 5.5" liners in both flues and they both draft like Hoovers. But both of them are almost twice the height of your chimney so that could factor in. That and since they are side by side in the same brick chimney it doesn't ever get cold in the chimney from November to May. One or both are burning all the time.

Do the paint can drill. Tie a rope on a gallon paint can and lower it into the chimney. If it won't go through then a six inch liner or an insulated 5.5 ain't going through either.

BrotherBart said:
Same here as Todd. I put 5.5" liners in both flues and they both draft like Hoovers. But both of them are almost twice the height of your chimney so that could factor in. That and since they are side by side in the same brick chimney it doesn't ever get cold in the chimney from November to May. One or both are burning all the time.

Do the paint can drill. Tie a rope on a gallon paint can and lower it into the chimney. If it won't go through then a six inch liner or an insulated 5.5 ain't going through either.

I was thinking of going with a 5 in diamter flex pipe and then use a 5"to 6" enlarger. The stove takes a 6 in diameter. The only concern I have is that too much of a restriction on the stove to vent outwards?

coreystaf said:
another option, and the one I use on most inserts, is to buy an ovalized flex liner. It will fit easily down your chimey, they can ovalize it down to 4" and use an adaptor to fit the 6" stove top. Just thought I'd throw that out there

How do you determine which size 4 inch oval to use? I have a 4 inch damper opening and even if I take it out it will only give me about 1/2 inch, so I plan to squeeze a 4x? inch through the damper and use the adapter to connect to the 6inch round opening. The insert will be a Lopi Revere, and the chimney is about 20'.

On chimneylinerinc.com the options are 4x - 6 to 11. I was thinking something like the 4x9.4?

I might use rigid 6" pipe, which is barely larger than 6 inches on the OD - and then use flex on the bottom 5 feet or so - 6" ID, but slightly ovalized by hand and dropped down on the bottom of the rigid.

Just another idea.....which is likely to provide better draft. 15 feet is marginal in height. Of course, you could add an extendaflue to the top of it and run the pipe up higher.....

http://www.extendaflue.com/cast.html

How hard is it to ovalize a 6" liner? Can all brands be ovalized without harming it's durability? I have a Flex King liner on order and it would be much easier to install if was about 5" - 5.5" wide.

Thanks.

LONDONDERRY said:
BrotherBart said:

I was thinking of going with a 5 in diamter flex pipe and then use a 5"to 6" enlarger. The stove takes a 6 in diameter. The only concern I have is that too much of a restriction on the stove to vent outwards?

I'm no expert but I believe you will see just the opposite. At such low velocities going to a smaller diameter liner will help INCREASE flow. It is simple fluid dynamics. I think it may create too much draft and you may need to add a pipe damper.

Do the paint can drill. Tie a rope on a gallon paint can and lower it into the chimney. If it won’t go through then a six inch liner or an insulated 5.5 ain’t going through either.

BB that is a great idea I would have never thought of.

I also used a 5.5 liner uninsulated but run 24/7 with a soapstone and it drafts like crazy. I also added a dampener. My inside measurement was something like 7 1/2 to 6 1/2 square. I had to make to 45degree turns as well. No way a 6" would have made it.

I have the same clay tiles and just dropped a 5.5" liner from Rockford. In case you're wondering, the stove connector will be 6", I called to ask and before I could get it out he answered. Mine went down great. For people talking about installing dampers.... What kind of damper are you installing? Do you have a link or something? I've just broken mine in and it's sucking great but I dont have the length like y'all do. Mine is about 16'.

I guess I'm the lucky one! I installed 20' of rigid liner to a tee with removable snout in a 6 3/4 x 10 1/2 i.d. clay liner. It went down without a problem and cleans real easy, once down and once up.

Jim

I used a paint can to test clearance. Had to bust a little mortar with a long heavy re-rod. Then installed 6" Rigid. Worked like a champ.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.