What size o-ring would this be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have two o-rings, one broke and needs to be replaced. It goes to a small random, older water pipe connector that you cant buy in store so I cant look up a manual . How would someone measure the size of an o-ring for a replacement o-ring? I dont own a caliper and even if I did, wouldnt the o-ring smoosh while being measured, therefore making the measurement inaccurate? Maybe ill have to buy a cheap caliper and measure the port it came off of.

It looks bigger than 3/8th; maybe 7/16th inch? Im trying to avoid buying 1000 different o-ring sizes if possible. Thanks!

oring.png

O-rings are sized by ID but there's also thickness and profile that need to match. That one looks like a 5/16 but it's hard to tell for sure from a photo.
If possible, take it into a plumbing supply house and they will match the size.

It looks like an American size 011. But it could be a metric size. Or even proprietary size. Also depends what it’s going into, as to how much room there is to crush it before something breaks.

If you don’t have a knowledgeable plumbing supply store, an auto parts store is another good option.

There are packs at HD in the plumbing parts for aprox. 2 dollars with random sizes if your not confident you know the exact one.