What size of wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saberbass

Feb 20, 2020
Brandon, MB, Canada
New to Hearth.com, and I've never owned a wood stove so any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1200 sq ft bungalow on 2 acres. It was built in 1978, L shaped living room dining room faces south, electric furnace with baseboard heaters in the bedrooms. The basement is divided in to three sections , laundry/ mud room, bedroom, and 400 sq ft family room with open staircase in the middle of the basement. In the winter during the day we get a lot of solar heat coming through the windows even if it is -30, but soon as the sun sets you can feel the house get colder. The family room in the basement is around 60 f , and running a space heater barely makes it warm enough. I would like to put a wood burning stove in the south west corner, with an outside chimney. I would like it to heat up the family room with excess heat going up the stairs into the living room. Plan A is every day around 4 I fire up the stove and let it die out around midnight. Knowing I'll have to preheat the chimney to get the flue warmed up. Plan B I love the heat so much I run it all the time. Also if the power goes out for an extended period of time I would like it to be able at least keep the house warm enough that the pipes don't freeze. Thinking between P.E. vista 1.6 , P.E. Super le 2.0 , Enerzone 2.3. Last thing is the wood around here in western Canada is mostly poplar, pine or ash so that will affect burn times and heat output . Any thought on size? Or anything else. Thanks Brian

I would opt for the Super. The larger, square firebox will provide more loading options. It's an easy to run stove that will burn well with a 3-4 split fire when you don't need the heat, but has a long burn time for its size when fully loaded.

Last edited:
I would shoot for a fire box that in the mid 2 cu ft area, def larger then a 1.5 but smaller then a 3cu ft. As far as heating from the basement, central stairs help a lot!!! But a couple questions here, is the basement insulated? or is it just block against earth on one side (assuming its walk out since theres a mud room) If your going the wood stove route, while deciding whats best for your home and getting all required permits in order along with quotes, start gathering firewood now, you will want the stuff split and stacked asap since most wood types take a minimum of a year to dry out to the ideal level of 20% moisture content. All stoves love dry wood, and your kidding yourself if you think you can walk into the woods and drop a dead tree cut, split, stack and burn that night. You will want to shoot for a healthy 4 cords (stacked - 4ft x 4ft x 8ft = 1 cord) of wood to start off with, this will gauge what you'll need for a full winter, plus any wood left over just dries out even more and is better the following year.
Your in good hands using this website for guidance, many seasoned woodburning vets here, and a number of pro installers that can help with answering question you might have along the way.
BTW - @begreen recommendation of the PE - Super Le is a great recommendation, they are great stoves, will last a long while and provide great heat, clean burns, and has a nice viewing window for watching the flames.

Reactions: saberbass
Thanks I was leaning towards the super le, north south loading is a plus, and the basement is all drywalled and insulated, mud room opens to the garage. I already have 2 cords stacked for over 2 years and plan on getting a cut and split cord of poplar and a cord of ash this month. I also have 2 dead large pine trees that have to come down this spring , dead for a couple of years and I don't want a storm taking them down. My neighbor and friend has an older wood stove in his farm house and has 160 acres with standing dead trees, always needs a hand cutting and chopping so as soon as the gardens planted its wood gathering time. Thanks for the quick reply's there is a ton of info on here and I have learned a lot over the last year.

It's their oldest line and has perhaps the best combo of features. Our next-door neighbor has the Spectrum variant and they love it.

It is easier to build a small fire in a large stove than to build a large fire in a small stove.

Go with the larger stove since you're blessed with such cold temps every winter.