What sort of routine or seasonal maintenance do you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astrodon

Dec 2, 2007
MI
I want my stove (Englander 30-NCH) to last as long as possible and was wondering what you guys do to your stoves to keep them nice and long-lasting. This is only my second season and all I've done so far is to remove the burn tubes and baffles and vacuum everything out. I didn't bother removing the fire brick. Not counting a nuclear meltdown, which this thing seems capable of :) it seems that internal rust would be main issue.

FYI, I think I have a handle on the chimney and stovepipe. Is there anything else you guys like to do to your stoves?

Thanks

I don't know if it's a hassle to remove the brick on that stove -- or it it's hazardous to the brick -- but if not, you might consider removing the brick at least this first year, to see if any rust has developed over the summer in your climate. I haven't had this problem myself (dry West), but if you did, you could plan on a springtime treatment of the metal surfaces with some kind of preservative oil (one that would safely cook off during the first burn of Fall).

Eddy

Sweep. Check seals. Done.

Rust on these things is generally self limiting- a layer of rust prevents air/water from getting to fresh metal. Unless you have a flood in there- which someone reported this year- that's all I do for my non-cat.

Squirt of graphite powder on hinges & other moving parts. Rick

Almost done with the process even as we speak.

Extrordinaire 33 insert=remove front face plate and panels to vacuum everything real good, take out the two fans in the front and clean out accumulated dust and oil bearings lightly.

I just have the chimney guy/vendor come and do a cleaning/inspection.

I had him come twice last year as it was my first season burning and I wanted to know how well I was doing, was I burning hot enough, etc. I had the typical "first year burners blues" regarding finding well seasoned wood, and knew that I had burned some less that perfect wood.
I got an A+ both times, and I attribute that directly to the information and skills I learned here.

So from now on it is once a year maintenance visits, post burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.