What temperature do you all decide no fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SterlingSL

Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
Living in North Texas I procrastinated for years getting our insert. Figured it was too warm here to use it. However the wife is asking me to light the thing even when the temp in the house is 68-70. Yes, we're big puss pusses when it comes to being cold.

When do you all decide it's too warm?

Around 50º outside I let the heat pump take over. It's much more efficient and less costly to run. With temps above 65F we start opening windows. Might give the house a shot of heat at night after the windows are closed.

Around 50º outside I let the heat pump take over. It's much more efficient and less costly to run. With temps above 65F we start opening windows. Might give the house a shot of heat at night after the windows are closed.

Our heat pump died three years ago. Since then we've used the little ceramic space heaters but the wife starts copping an attitude about having to live in a cold house. It's funny you mention the heat pump is more cost efficient. I consider the insert 'free heat' as the only cost is my butt out there scrounging and chopping and cutting and stacking. Our heat pump, when it did work was nothing but a cold drafty heat. She hated it and so did I. Heat pumps have probably gotten better in the last 15 years but shelling out several grand for another crappy heat unit wasn't going down very well for either of us.

You all are making me feel bad. At 65 we'd be lighting the insert. However I grew up in New Mexico. 65 degrees there is not the same as 65 degrees here in North Texas. My mother comes to visit every few years and she says she can't believe how damn cold/hot this place is compared to where I grew up. Most likely the heavy humidity.

Yeah high 50s or low 60s and I stop burning.

Our heat pump died three years ago. Since then we've used the little ceramic space heaters but the wife starts copping an attitude about having to live in a cold house. It's funny you mention the heat pump is more cost efficient. I consider the insert 'free heat' as the only cost is my butt out there scrounging and chopping and cutting and stacking. Our heat pump, when it did work was nothing but a cold drafty heat. She hated it and so did I. Heat pumps have probably gotten better in the last 15 years but shelling out several grand for another crappy heat unit wasn't going down very well for either of us.

You all are making me feel bad. At 65 we'd be lighting the insert. However I grew up in New Mexico. 65 degrees there is not the same as 65 degrees here in North Texas. My mother comes to visit every few years and she says she can't believe how damn cold/hot this place is compared to where I grew up. Most likely the heavy humidity.
Our heat pump is a newer high efficiency model and works great. If you set it to 72F the house is 72F, the rest is psychological. I have scrounged for many years, but am getting to the age where my back thanks me for not lifting big rounds on a regular basis. Bought 2 of the 3 cords we burned last year.

PS: does the wife ask for the AC to be turned on as soon as it goes above 77º outside? That's about when my wife starts complaining about the heat.

PS: does the wife ask for the AC to be turned on as soon as it goes above 77º outside? That's about when my wife starts complaining about the heat.

A/C usually when the inside temp is over 80. The deal with her is: if she's been cold all day, she wants a hot house, hotter than she could stand in the summer. If she's been sitting in A/C all day at work, she wants A/C at home too. Very small temperature range there. When we were still paying the house off and cash was very limited, I actually had the house at one point where the inside pipes froze. Then we'd sweat like crazy in the summer with the inside of the house at 95.

Those days are gone although I can still handle those conditions, she can't.

40 is our cut off for the wood stove

Whenever the wife says I can stop! She likes it warm. This is about the point in the year where I start to get tired of bringing wood in the house. I thought we might be done about 3 weeks ago, but the temps seem stuck back down in the 30s since then. But once we get into the 50s we just do a fire for the overnight and load it up again in the morning, which gets the house up to temp for the rest of the day, and then repeat. Need to get into the 60s for no fire I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife will want a fire or the heat on even if it is 65, which as long as the house isn't to warm I can deal with. I just don't get it when the summer heat shows up the AC is set at 73. I personally hate the AC so it drives me crazy. I just don't get it.

Old stone house, so there's a bit of hysteresis in our indoor/ outdoor temperature ratio.

Fall: I need to wait for it to get down near 40F outside for the house to lose enough heat to light a stove.

Spring: I need it to get above 75F outside to justify shutting down the stove in the old wing of the house.

Yes, I may load the stove if they're forecasting a high of 70F in April. I've burned stoves in June.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000