What to check on a used log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ridensnow23

Feb 29, 2012
Western PA
There are a few log splitters on craigslist for sale around me. Considering buying one.

What are the common failure points on a gas powered splitter? What should I look for as far as wear and tear?

I know a little bit about small engines, but I don't know much about hydraulic pumps.

Last edited:
Too many to list. Pictures will tell 1000 words. Home made is much more difficult. Store bought is much easier.
Hoses, bends, design, cylinder size + length, rod size, pump speed, versatility, leakage, speed etc......

Specific to your question, look for leaks, take along the worst piece of twisted knotted wood you have laying around and see if it will split as well as a couple more normal pieces ( elm is a good choice as hickory) That will also let you hear if the pump kicks down to low speed high pressure. Look for smooth even speed of ram in both directions look at slide ( push plate or wedge which ever is movable) for wear. take a straight edge along , this to see if beam has been tweaked. Most older valves will leak a tiny bit at the opposite end of the lever. Also make sure it stays in detent for the return. Sometimes a worn valve is not apparent until the oil gets good and warm. look at the hoses for tears or cuts in the layers. ( not a killer easy to replace) hope this helps

Reactions: CenterTree
Check cycle time. Seems with my dad's old homemade splitter we can split twice as much in the same amount of time as most of the new splitters.

I found a used timberwolf T-2 last spring on Craig's. I brought a 20" plus oak round with me to see how the splitter performed... The TW came with a 4 way drop on wedge as well.... Seller was a truck mechanic... Was glad I brought the wood to try it out.... Has commercial Honda engine on it too.... Can run the throttle not quite halfway and it will go thru anything,,, the only challenge I have had since getting it was fresh cut sweet gum .... I've picked up a lot of gnarly ,knotty oak , maple from various people & it powers right thru it... Splitter was from 2002 ..... I have a small occasional hydraulic leak at the back end of the prince control valve..... Very happy with it ! I've run maybe 10-15 cord thru it all ready ..... image.jpg

I like the idea of horizontal OR vertical for those big rounds that you can't lift....or don't want to.....along with what the others said.

My solution to the big rounds is 1 of my snow blower ramps made out of 2x8 with the aluminum tail gate bracket that rest right on the splitter beam... Roll the rounds on and good to go.... I actually keep 1 on my truck rack as there has been a lot of tree work being done in the area & the crews leave good sized rounds... The big usually gets left ... So I'll grab those with the ramp, right into the truck bed...

I like the idea of Jonathon's timberwolf where the wheels are plenty out of the way. With those hinged ones the asked is usually right where you want to stand while working.

Lots of good information here. I hadn't thought about checking if the ibeam was straight.

I guess my biggest concern would be the motor and design. Saw another thread where the motor on the guy's 22 ton huskee crapped out after 50 hours. I've always been leery of B&S engines. I'll probably look for a Kohler or Honda.

I had rented a splitter last year. It went horizontal and vertical. I was a fan of that. It did seem slow though. I think it was a higher tonnage. It also had an auto return on the piston which I found more of a hinderence than anything. The pistol had a pretty long stroke and my logs were cut to 18". I kept trying to get the next log set before the piston would return home.

Is there a way to set the stop point on the piston?

As far as what's for sale out there, I see a couple cub cadets, a huskee, a Troy bilt, mtd, craftsman, mtd, and a timberwolf. There are some custom built ones, but those guys want a lot of money for them and there is too much potential to buy someone else's problem as far as I am concerned.

The return should just be based on a pressure differential. I think if you just put some sort of physical stop on there it should pop out.

Last edited:
Splitters are very simple machines. Not a whole lot to break and if something does it can be replaced or upgraded fairly cheap. As far as the B&S engines one may last 50 hrs. the next may last 5000. They all have lemons and peaches. My huskee has more than 50 hrs. already and I know of one that has split wood for 3 family's (plus mine for 2) for more than 10 years.

I looked for a used splitter here but they were over priced IMO. People hang on to them and the few used machines that are for sale means they want a lot for well used time to sell as is splitters. If you have a Menards in your area, look at what they have during a sale.

I found a used timberwolf T-2 last spring on Craig's. I brought a 20" plus oak round with me to see how the splitter performed... The TW came with a 4 way drop on wedge as well.... Seller was a truck mechanic... Was glad I brought the wood to try it out.... Has commercial Honda engine on it too.... Can run the throttle not quite halfway and it will go thru anything,,, the only challenge I have had since getting it was fresh cut sweet gum .... I've picked up a lot of gnarly ,knotty oak , maple from various people & it powers right thru it... Splitter was from 2002 ..... I have a small occasional hydraulic leak at the back end of the prince control valve..... Very happy with it ! I've run maybe 10-15 cord thru it all ready ..... View attachment 126602
What did it run you?

Listen to the pump. If there is excessive noise like squealing or screeching, if could be cavitation caused by starvation on the intake side or excessive blow-by on the vanes if it is a vane pump or gear to housing clearance in a gear pump.

If it looks real used, it's used up

What did it run you?
$1,500.00. Best price I could find at the time..

When I bought it the mechanic boomed it into the bed of my truck with his bobcat.... Closed the tailgate & strapped it down and I was in the interstate in no time...

My dad who split by hand for years came over and we did a pile of rounds in 45 minutes that stacked into just about a full cord.... He looked at the pile , back at the splitter, back at me , grinned and said " I don't care what you spent on this machine, it was worth every penny and then some ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.