What to do about flue "screw holes"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
What do people do when they get a new stove that is shorter than the old stove, and that adjustable sliding flue piece goes down more now so there are 3 holes where the old screws were that are now in the wrong place and can't be used? I guess the options are to do nothing, plug them with bigger screws, plug them with silicone sealent, plug them with stove cement, or some combination.
IMG_3798.JPGIMG_3797.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Either put screws in the holes replace the pipe or even do nothing those small holes really won't hurt anything.

The natural draft should prevent smoke from coming out of the holes, but me . . . I would get slightly larger screws to plug the holes.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Those are some big holes. In the past I’ve left them open but mine were from normal sized screws. You really stop noticing them after a short time.