What to do with big cucumbers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I mean really big cucumbers, like my son didn’t check the garden for the whole two weeks I was gone big. Like 10-12 inches long and 3 inches in diameter big!

I hate to waste them but they look too big to pickle.

Any ideas?

Greg H said:
I mean really big cucumbers, like my son didn’t check the garden for the whole two weeks I was gone big. Like 10-12 inches long and 3 inches in diameter big!

I hate to waste them but they look too big to pickle.

Any ideas?
Compost

See what happens when you try to split it with a 27ton log splitter? :)

Jay

So far the wife has made gazpacho out of a couple. Will try cutting them and making pickle slices, one slice will do a whole burger.

[
So far the wife has made gazpacho out of a couple. Will try cutting them and making pickle slices, one slice will do a whole burger[/quote]

Might be on to a new marketing idea.

Run them through the dehydrator and see if they pass as chips?

MMaul said:
Might be on to a new marketing idea.

The McCumber?

Old Italian trick (taught to my mom by my old Italian grandmother). Cut about an inch off the end and rub the cut ends together. Supposed to draw out the bitter juices. Cut another half inch off the main body and toss that away, then seed the thing and eat it. Or chop it up for cuke salad. Or put some in salsa or gazpacho. You can also juice them. Carrot juice mixed in will sweeten up any bitterness present.

You can use them as a facial astringent as well. That's how I stay so young and beautiful looking. Putting cucumber slices over your eyes is supposed to soothe tired eyes and get rid of puffiness and circles. I'm waiting until I get a huge one to to see if it will get rid of that 5" circle on the back of my head.

Mostly, we give them away to guests we don't like that much. Tuck them right in there with that huge bag of overgrown zucchini and overripe tomatoes and they'll never even notice.

when I was a kid and we raised them us kids would take those really big ones and make boats out of them . We would carve them into all different shapes and take them down to the pond. with some string and such you could have barges, tugs and all kinds of fun. Yes we always wished they would get bigger but we never did get any big enough to ride in. Thats the only good memories I have of pickles though as picking them all day in the hot sum wasn't any fun. Makes me appreciate how hard the migrants work.
leaddog

Loaf of bread, mayo, tomato, onion, salt pepper, cucumber sliced longways, yummy

Cut the end off some and taste it. When ours start to get big they usually end up tasting like watermelon rind. Take out the seeds and put it in salad, or pickle it.

Ha- they can get bigger than that.
They turn bright yellow and orange and or white and are easier to find. :)

Compost.

Or eat them, but they are usually very bitter, woody and chewy, especially the seeds.

Never leave them on the vine as the maturing seeds send some kind of chemical signal back to the rest of the plants that the job of producing progeny is done and it can give up now.

1 - slice lengthwise like pickle wedges, put on plate and salt and pepper them. Let them site for about an hour and then eat at room temp.

2 - slice in half and scoop out sees as they are probably big and nasty. Slice cuckes along with onion and tomato. Toss with a dressing. I like Olive Oil, Rice vinegar and mustard with some S&P. 2:1 ration oil to vinegar and a nice dollop of a spice brown or whole grain mustard. This dressing always has folks asking me for the recipe and I laugh while telling them how easy it is. I use it for anything, including slaws.

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vinegar eye like apple cider
1 Tbls salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar

Slice thin 6 ave to large pickles
Slice 1 large onion and 2 bell pepers.
Place in large bowl and cover for 5 days opening once a day to mix thoroughly.
After 5 days EAT.
Best pickle eye ever had. CAREFULL you dohnt get a belly ache.
BIG cukes dohnt make a diff in taste.

SolarAndWood said:
Run them through the dehydrator and see if they pass as chips?

This is what I do. Slice them thin, put on a little salt, and dehydrate them and they are a good substitute for chips.

Do what the locals do with their giant zuchinis. Find an unattended convertible with the top down and make a deposit in the back seat. ;-P

captiveLEE said:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vinegar eye like apple cider
1 Tbls salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar

Slice thin 6 ave to large pickles
Slice 1 large onion and 2 bell pepers.
Place in large bowl and cover for 5 days opening once a day to mix thoroughly.
After 5 days EAT.
Best pickle eye ever had. CAREFULL you dohnt get a belly ache.
BIG cukes dohnt make a diff in taste.

Zactly.

I do this to probably 5 batches or so, per summer. I use a mandolin for the slicing of the cukes, the un-yon gets a little thicker cut.

Cucumber processor

Attachments

• cucumber processor.jpg
    cucumber processor.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,179
Status
Not open for further replies.