What to look for in a used stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brianv1980

Aug 15, 2018
Nj
badically what the title says. I am looking to put a stove in. Wife likes the looks of the jutol stoves and Vermont castings. Obviously they are the more expensive ones. I have seen them on Craigslist and Facebook exchange but don’t know what to look for.

I have bought some used stoves. What I do is look for discoloration from over firing the stove. I stick my head in the the stove and use a flash light to look for cracks. I am not too worried about surface rust if the stove has not been used for a while. Check the glass for cracks. And of course if the stove will be located in a living area cosmetics such as chipped corners etc. are important to check for too.

On some Jotuls you will also want to check the ash pan grate . . . if the grate is warped it could be a sign of overheating. As mentioned, white or light gray "splotching" may also indicate an overfired stove.

Any cracks or warping of anything is an automatic no. Paint that has turned white is a sign of overfiring and the stove should be inspected closely.

And just about anything that says vermont castings wiuld be a no for me as well. Unless it is one of their tube stoves or an old pre epa one

Reactions: coutufr
If you like a cast iron style, Morso, Lange, Hampton and Hearthstone are other manufacturers to watch out for.