What to put between the pot and the soapstone...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geka

Oct 30, 2008
New Jersey
I want to set a pot of water on my new Hearthstone soapstone Heritage but have been told that a pot will scratch the soapstone. What do you all use between your soapstone and your pot?

Get some gasket, the kind they use for the glass on the doors. Its has that sticky back to it. Stick two or three strips to the bottom of the pot.

i use a screen, otherwise you get pot in your teeth.
oh wait....

Ack... I put nothing at all in there. It is hard enough to boil off water with the cold running soapstone stoves so why make it worse with some sort of insulator?

The trick is to leave the pot on the stove and refill it with a kettle. If you never move the pot then it can't scratch anything. Also, be sure that you don't trap any grit between the stove and the pot.

Attachments

• kettlesmall.JPG
    kettlesmall.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 339
+1, I put nothing under the pot. I am, also, on the pot. YES ON TWO BAY-BEE!

I put my pot right on top and I haven't seen any scratches.

(And now it's legal in Michigan for medical reasons of course)

I have a Revereware kettle which isn't too heavy and just carefully place it on the stone without sliding. Use a sheet metal kettle or pot, not cast iron to reduce weight and scratching possibility.

I used a short length of rope gasket too. I got a length of it for less than a buck and used a tiny amount of stove cement to attach it to the bottom of the enamel pot.

What happens when you get a scratch in your soapstone...is it like that first door ding in the side of your new car? Rick

Our Heritage actually showed up w/ what could be called a significant scuff on the back right corner of the top left rear stone (got that? not on the outside corner, but closer to the top exhaust blockoff plate). If I was really willing to believe I wouldn't likely do FAR worse things to it, I probably would have demanded it be swapped out or repaired. But in reality, I know it'll be covered in a film of ash and soot, sitting in poor lighting, etc. Not really worried about a few scratches...

We use those little boot dryers that Woodstock sells for under pots. Then they have a second and third use too! Boot dryers and we also use them for glove warmers for when we cut wood in the winter.

For scratches in the soapstone, try some very fine steel wool. 0000 is about as fine as you can get and works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.