What to use to clean SS flue liner ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a 51/2" SS flue liner that has several bends...
My 6" was easy ...... 6" poly brush 1 bend.

I like the sooteater, works well.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Cleaned my chimney with a Sooteater today, as I've done for the past 3 years.

It did a great job. I probably got 2 quarts of powdered creosote from our stainless liner.

NOTE that I also use Rutland creosote remover, which seems to do a good job of turning sticky creosote into an easily removed brittle powder.

Attachments

• fireplace-with-creosote.jpg
    fireplace-with-creosote.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 206
Cleaned my chimney with a Sooteater today, as I've done for the past 3 years.

It did a great job. I probably got 2 quarts of powdered creosote from our stainless liner.

NOTE that I also use Rutland creosote remover, which seems to do a good job of turning sticky creosote into an easily removed brittle powder.
You should have no need for creosote remover with that quad if you are running it right. It shouldnt hurt anything but you are probably wasting your money

You should have no need for creosote remover with that quad if you are running it right. It shouldnt hurt anything but you are probably wasting your money

Cheap insurance.

I used the SootEater today. I'm very happy with its performance on clean burning soot/debris. If your stove isn't running correctly or you have heavy 2/3 stage creosote, the soot eater is the wrong tool since it really only knocks down the 1/2 stage soot.
If I recall correctly, the paperwork that came with my liner indicated soot/creosote additives were not to be used and would void my lifetime warranty. However, if you have heavy stage 2/3 creosote without additives, and cannot use the liner, what is the warranty worth? I guess the additives can damage the metal.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I used the SootEater today. I'm very happy with its performance on clean burning soot/debris. If your stove isn't running correctly or you have heavy 2/3 stage creosote, the soot eater is the wrong tool since it really only knocks down the 1/2 stage soot.
If I recall correctly, the paperwork that came with my liner indicated soot/creosote additives were not to be used and would void my lifetime warranty. However, if you have heavy stage 2/3 creosote without additives, and cannot use the liner, what is the warranty worth? I guess the additives can damage the metal.
If the additives are tsp based which most are now it wont harm a stainless liner.

If the additives are tsp based which most are now it wont harm a stainless liner.
That is good to know. Do the ingredients say TSP based? The last I looked at one of these additives, the product said it was safe for liners, but I really didn't trust that information.

Maybe I’ll pick up a SootEater for my new 12’ Straight chimney and try it out. I’ve always used a regular brush but it doesn’t do the best job. I’ve never had any creosote, just soot.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Maybe I’ll pick up a SootEater for my new 12’ Straight chimney and try it out. I’ve always used a regular brush but it doesn’t do the best job. I’ve never had any creosote, just soot.
The SootEater does a very nice job and makes very quick work of the cleaning job. The hardest part for me was the setup.
I keep the vacuum on while I am on the roof. The vacuum pulls all the dust down and I am not standing in a cloud of soot. It makes the job so much cleaner, especially as I hold the rod when the SootEater is cycles up and down.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Does the soot eater have any risk of damaging a stainless flex liner though ? Doesn’t it spin at a high rate ? I’ve got a mild bend in my liner and I was afraid to use a soot water.

That said I’ve been ok with a standard plastic brush. Also have a quad and to be honest don’t get much build up beyond the 1st stage powdery stuff. My glass never turns black. I was told if the glass turns black it’s a sign your not burning correctly. I do think my fires are sometimes on the colder side but the glass and liner seems to stay clean

Does the soot eater have any risk of damaging a stainless flex liner though ? Doesn’t it spin at a high rate ? I’ve got a mild bend in my liner and I was afraid to use a soot water.

That said I’ve been ok with a standard plastic brush. Also have a quad and to be honest don’t get much build up beyond the 1st stage powdery stuff. My glass never turns black. I was told if the glass turns black it’s a sign your not burning correctly. I do think my fires are sometimes on the colder side but the glass and liner seems to stay clean
I don't think so. The rods are a poly-type design with an integral steel (?) connector that has a fairly good transition. I would think if the liner has no snags (deformations from impact) there would be no way to damage the liner- but who knows.