What to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For appearance or to remove flammables to install an insert?

For appearance or to remove flammables to install an insert?

Latter and smell when its damp outside. The fireplace and clay liner were swept before wood stove insert installation. Didn't realize the odor until recent rainy days.

Latter and smell when its damp outside. The fireplace and clay liner were swept before wood stove insert installation. Didn't realize the odor until recent rainy days.
Well first i would confirm that it actually was cleaned properly if not it can be extremely dangerous to have an insert and liner in a dirty chimney. Next confirm that the flue is sealed top and bottom the way it should be. After that make sure you dont have a moisture problem causing the smell. Then there are allot of commercially available cleaner the only one i have found that really works well is saver systems paint and peel. But that is only for the firebox. If it is in the smoke chamber and or flue you need a different approach

The installer came out and double checked all connections, applied joint cement to seal Insert and liner, also checked roof connection and concluded masonry surrounding liner shows signs of moisture seepage . they are fixing that next week. I will try paint and peel. Thx!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.