What type of beetle is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
They're doing a job on some plants we have at the cemetery, we started using a insecticidal soap but they're getting worse.

IMG_0668.JPG IMG_0669 (1).JPG

Looks like it may be a rose chafer beetle. They can be green or tan in color.

Check with the Cornell coop extension in your county. They should have an entomologist on call for such things.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Looks like it may be a rose chafer beetle. They can be green or tan in color.
We did more research last night and that's what we came up with, thanks.

I think since the wife never had any problems when she had coleus plants there, she'll have those again next year.

The beetles really did a job on the plants, we're trying some water soluble Miracle - Gro Bloom Booster on them, they had there first feeding this morning.

It says you can use it every 7-14 days, we'll see what the boss wants depending how the plants react.

The beetles are gone for the year so hopefully this fertilizer will help out, if not, I can always use this on the other plants in the two other cemeteries.

If they have severely cut back foliage too, then some nitrogen would also help. Try alternating with fish emulsion fertilizer.

If they have severely cut back foliage too, then some nitrogen would also help. Try alternating with fish emulsion fertilizer.
They have, I'll grab some.

Thanks
Zap

Even though the leaves were coming back, the wife had bought some coleus plants for the cemetery so out with the old and in with the new.

I had marigolds in two other cemeteries north of here, both had been doing fine over a week ago. When I made my first stop I couldn't believe what I saw when I pulled in, no green on the plant at all, just flowers, it looked like something stripped it in a weeks time.

My second stop the marigolds are still good, we'll see how long that will last.

Hopefully, they'll be ok. I think I read that the peak season for the chafers is June.

The marigolds were stripped? I don’t think I’ve ever seen something eat them before.

I'm nursing one back from slug devastation last spring.

The marigolds were stripped? I don’t think I’ve ever seen something eat them before.
It was the first time it has happened too, we've had them back here when we grew tomatoes and it never happened.

We won't replace those marigolds this year so I'll do something different next year. Attached are the marigolds something stripped.

marigolds2.JPG