What type of tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2010
western NH
My existing house has 600sqft of 1/2" hePex (Wirsbo). I have an addition under construction with 600sqft of 1/2" radiant pex (Watts orange) in the basement slab and 600sqft of 3/8 Onix (Watts black "rubber hose") 2nd floor. I need to install tubing on the 1st floor (600sqft). Any suggestions? Apparently the Onix is much easier to work with but much more expensive also. This will be staple up install with 2/3 hardwood and 1/3 tile flooring.

I was hesitant to comment on this, but felt I should.
I would only consider PEX Pex/Al/Pex tubing for radiant applications.
Am not a big fan of Onix, which is rubber and carries with it the legacy of Entran(1,2 and 3) which all eventually had problems.

Onix is simpler to work with in that it is more flexible, but that IMHO is its only attraction.

If one looks to Europe, which has a longer track record than we do on such matters, there are no rubber tubing manufacturers of note.
That speaks volumes to me.

Agree with Tom. PAP Pex/Aluminum/Pex is the way to go. More expensive for sure, a 100% O2 barrier for sure. The stuff will easily outlast 2 owners even if both manage to make it to 80+. So you can install it & let someone else figure out what is best to replace it with in about 200 years or so & forget about O2 infiltration.

I had a feeling the Onix wasn't a good idea. I think the installer had good intentions but may have been mislead by the supplier. Of course it is the only radiant in the house that will have finished living space and sheetrock underneath it. We have used the hePex for 7 years and are extremely happy with the climate and it is silent.

PAP sounds like a solid answer.

Pex AL Pex is "entertaining" to work with. It willl hold its shape vs barrier pex, but its a workout, because you need to "put it" in the shape to run through joist bays from below, I am sure its pretty easy to work with on top of the floor but in the bays below its some work. But with that said, the AL section stabilizes the pex so it wont creak from expansion and contraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.