What type of wood is this that I am splitting in my garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steveohio

Jul 13, 2017
Cleveland
I only have the wood to identify and no leaves or anything else that would help. 15ea63c6884cc0b1731bc6d86022eb04.jpg49f6dd0c41dd67e5674df78cf30ef1b8.jpg840eec8749ae3204516769980377bb9a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah , you got me too. o_O.. I hope it turns out to be blackwalnut or something like it. Some of the Elms have a dark center too.

Soft Maple

I'm a little stumped, too. The lower half of older bigtooth Aspen trunks will have that smooth bark that will start to have similar breaks/furrows as it gets older. The butt ends can look like that, too. I just don't recall seeing dark heartwood in them, but I haven't cut a big specimen in a long while. If the wood is very light weight when fully seasoned, I'd say something in the poplar family (Aspens are poplars, BTW).

Also, maybe some nonnative species?

The wood seems to be very dense and it doesn't split easy and is stringy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I've never come across anything like this! You sure have posted a good riddle. Whatever it is, hope it burns well for you.

As nrford says, red maple. Young red maple has smooth bark like that. When it gets older and bigger the bark starts to get a little shaggier.

Tending to agree with the soft maple folks.....I have seen the middle of the wood get dark like that when it has been exposed to a lot of water.

Im in the maple boat to, the color tones, split waves around the knots and grain size.

Red maple. Dries very quick. Split in medium or smaller splits it may be burnable by spring 18' if need be. Not the case with hard maple.

Test it this fall. It very well could be ready to go. Red maple dries quickly.