what wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

astonvilla65

Jan 26, 2017
bham
Hi,

I scavenged some "Oak" and some "apparent" Cherrywood from my local canal this week, can someone identify the orangey wood in the middle of this photo please. The lumberjacks said it was nice cherrywood, I had the lot :)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20170126-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170126-WA0005.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I'd actually say that is black birch. Black birch and black cherry look very similar, and sometimes on young trees you have to go by the smell. Wintergreen smell? If so, it's black birch.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
From searching I've seen black cherry bark is alot rougher, birch seems a good shout. Wintergreen smell? I'm not sure, think I got the best of the recent felling though

Could be pin cherry, but it would typically be flaking at that size. It's not black cherry. Looks most like black birch as JSeery said. Nice find.

It has a birch bark for sure, thanks guys, very happy with the haul :)
Yeah, you'll like that stuff. Seasons much faster than oak with comparable BTUs. Get all you can.

Whack a piece open and sniff it, like they said it will smell like Wintergreen if it is Black Birch and also like they said you will like it if it is, it rocks as fuelwood!

There's still a fair lot down there but slightly smaller pieces, it's covered with shed loads of oak and hard to get to though, i'll take the oak and try to free it up. It was felled this week how long would it take to season up in my log store?

I already love it and it's only sitting there, can't wait to get burning it.

Yup, pin cherry, my yard is loaded, I burn it but it's so so wood.

Well, looks like I learned something today. Pin cherry makes more sense given your geography as well.

It has bark similar to birch but unfortunately that's where the similarities end. First time I had some I thought it was birch and was disappointed in the burn, now I know.

I cut this today , about the same size. It was black cherry growing from a cut stump . We call them stump shoots. They grow fast because of the large root system . They would eventually grow so tall and spindly that it doesn't take much to bow them over.
marks phone clean up 189.jpg

Just retrieved this from the canal, it's very wet but i have the space to season, i'm taking a punt on green birch but Im probably wrong. Yes the pin cherry which is what it seems to be burns hot (I tried a smaller log) roll on next year, got loads of the stuff still to grab aswell. Got myself a pin cherry chopping block too, this haul keeps on giving :)

Attachments

• 20170206_224539.jpg
    20170206_224539.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 114
I cut this today , about the same size. It was black cherry growing from a cut stump . We call them stump shoots. They grow fast because of the large root system . They would eventually grow so tall and spindly that it doesn't take much to bow them over.View attachment 193608
Looks very similar I think I've had a whole tree, is there much difference between the black and pin? Mine are orange inside atm but maybe that will fade once it's seasoned, if it's a cherry tree it's lovely wood

I burn a lot of black birch. What you have is not black birch What you have will not give off the telltale wintergreen smell when you spilt it. I have scrounged this type of wood before and I believe its a type of cherry you have, but def not black cherry.

I burn a lot of black birch. What you have is not black birch What you have will not give off the telltale wintergreen smell when you spilt it. I have scrounged this type of wood before and I believe its a type of cherry you have, but def not black cherry.
No I'm sure it's pin cherry after all the advice from guys on here. I'm sure birch has a smooth, thin bark and this has a darker similar type, yet again i'm not familiar with cherry trees

I thought I would try and get a def ID on this cherrywood, went passed the "fallen" tree though it's still standing must have been a couple and thought hopefully this pic would confirm the wood type. The tree on the right is the supposed cherrywood. Picked the last of the oak up tonight, I'm good for next year now :)

Attachments

• 20170207_131055.jpg
    20170207_131055.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 109
Sorry for another post on this thread but good news for me is that I had a tree surgeon pull up outside my house and he ID the wood as Oak, Cherry and green Ash, happy days :)

Pics of the three types i have

Ash?
Cherry!
Oak!

Attachments

• IMG-20170210-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170210-WA0006.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-20170210-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20170210-WA0004.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20170210-WA0002.jpg