What wood you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
I'm behind on my wood supply because I just got my stove installed last month and started burning what little I already had seasoned. I found a local tree guy who has wood for $100/cord for oak and $75/cord for 30% oak and the rest pine, poplar, maple, etc. He says all the stuff has been seasoned at least 6 months. I know the oak won't be fully seasoned, so I was thinking of going for the mixed bag, thinking some of the softwoods would be more seasoned and would help the oak along that's mixed in. Whaddya think?

Think about buying a couple of cords, a mixed bag and maybe 2 cord of oak. This way you will have seasoned oak for next season and maybe get a better deal.

Good luck!

Do you have room to bring in a weeks worth of wood next to the stove to give it a little extra drying?

Not really, but I was thinking about putting some of it underneath an overhang to our house to keep it out of the elements and stacking the rest out on pallets where it will get plenty of sun/wind. Like Craig said, I may be able to get by with what I buy mixed in with some other semi-seasoned stuff I have. We don't burn 24/7, although we're burning more than I thought because the wife loves it so much! And it's supposed to be 65 here today.....

I'm trying to get ahead for next year, my neighbor just cut down a nice big red oak, so I went over and got dibs. That's where I'm headed after I get off the computer! :cheese:

I'm in a similar situation this year I just moved in september and wasn't able to start gathering wood until almost oct. so I'm still picking away at it. What I recomend if you have the time and the ability is finds some one or someplace that will allow you to harvest dead timber from their property or your own property. This isn't always easy because people have a tendency to think that you are going to come in and destroy their woods wihich is not the case if you do find such a place. find dead standing timber. If it has been dead for a while and still standing then a good portion of the water weight has already evaporated. Try to stay away from dead and down this time of the year for burning this year because the water sits on the log and soaks in from the top and from the ground. If you harvest the dead standing and bring it in doors usually within a week maybe two you have nice dry wood. that will start and burn very nicely. I know this wasn't exactly the answer to your question but it has worked for me. just make sure if someone lets you on theier property you treat it with the up most respect and when felling the dead trees do everything in your power to avoid damaging live timber. If you live near a larger town or city you can try the city forestry dept. some times they will have an overabundance of wood that they harvested from the city streets and are more than willing to make a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.