What would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cachunko

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2015
michigan
So, I bought a new house. My old, old farm house had a snazzy new Yukon Eagle wood furnace in it. Wood was plentiful and cheap, but the labor involved sucked. Well, the new house (that I bought from my dad) has a bixby corn stove in it. It's probably 5 or 6 years old and works well, minus a few quirks that it has. I have a gravity wagon to get corn from the mill that he just filled for me. He got 220 bushel for about $800, and he said that should get us through most of the winter. My question is, when the bixby bites the dust, what would you get?

My dad really steered me away from buying any of the newer multi-fuel pellet stoves citing their unreliability. I really don't care one way or another. Aside from heating with the corn stove, I have a high efficient propane furnace. I'm currently locked in at $1.59 a gallon for the next 365 days.

The corn stove won't keep the house up to temperature on the super bitter cold days - he always needed to use the propane furnace to supplement then.

I live in mid-Michigan. The house is about 1700 sq feet and the walls are a little drafty. Currently there is only about 8 inches of insulation in the attic and I plan to blow a bunch more in asap.

Thanks for any insight. You guys are a wealth of knowledge here. Well, over in the furnace section they were anyways. I'm assuming you guys over here in the pellet mill are too :)

Get that insulation added! I bought a house and immediately added 8" over the entire attic to ensure minimal heat loss through the roof.

See: http://www.forgreenheat.org/consumer_resources/reliablepellet.html

I read that after I bought my stove and I seriously lucked out by getting the England's 25PDV. Extremely reliable and too hot for my home, which I can deal with.

Bill