What would you pay for this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I'm going to be behind on wood for the next couple of years. A local guy took down several standing dead oaks. He's selling some already split but also has some in rounds and logs.

The rounds in the pics, he says, measure about 30 inch diameter and bucked to 18 inches. He has about 20 of these. Some are a little bit punky but with really good heartwood.

He has a bunch of logs like the ones pictured. Again, this is all oak, which pretty much makes up about 90% of the trees around here. I have standing dead in my own woods but they are virtually inaccessible. Being able to buy these logs and/or rounds will save me a great deal of time and trouble. The guy selling this wood doesn't have too much time or cost into the wood so far. And we all know that most of the value in wood is when it's split and ready to stack.

So, with split oak going for around $150 a full cord around here, what would you pay for the logs and rounds. would need to pick them up myself.

Thanks! logs2.png logs1.png

In that log length - offer $50 a cord and you take away,

Any estimate of how much total firewood, in cords, those logs would make? I'm guessing they are about eight feet long and about 24 inch diameter. Looks to be eight logs.

not sure how much wood is in the logs but I just want to say that they don't look like oak in the second picture.

I haven't seen the wood myself but there's virtually nothing around here but various oaks and a little bit of pine. Maybe a few pignut hickory. B

I haven't seen the wood myself but there's virtually nothing around here but various oaks and a little bit of pine. Maybe a few pignut hickory. B

The logs look like Ash, but you're in Texas, and I'm in NY - So things may be a bit different. Either way, a log truck will deliver a guaranteed 8 cords of log length hardwood for $700-$800 here. I wouldn't pay more than $50/cord if I had to pick it up myself. Why not go check out what he's got and make an offer on a big chunk of it? Saves him time dealing with other people, and could save you a few bucks.

They do look like ash in the 2nd pic but they also look like some Pignut I processed a few months ago. I say Pignut. Good premium wood!!

Those look like good saw logs in the second picture. Around here, you would not get those for firewood, they would go to a saw mill.

Second picture looks like Ash but where you are it's probably a hickory or nut tree. Whatever it is it's not poplar or cottonwood so I'd get that in a heartbeat. It would be great if you could cut and split right there on site.

Do you think those eight logs would total out at least a cord?
Estimate they are eight feet long and about 24 inch radius. That's going to be really close to 128 cu feet.

8 x 2 x 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.