What would you recommend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriMom

Jan 29, 2013
Considering pellet stove or insert for our kitchen which is 19x17. It has a prefab fireplace. Trying to figure out if venting outside is possible with windows, deck and overhang. If pellet stove can be in corner with windows?

We are getting new cement fiber siding. Prefab fireplace has air intake vent about 5 feet off the ground.

Our main floor is about 1575 SF and has 3 fireplaces. The bump out on right is kitchen and above master bedroom and are coldest part of our house.

Photo of fireplace from inside is in bottom right front corner of this photo.

get-photo.asp

Possible locations

get-photo.asp

Corner
get-photo.asp

Floor Vent is 33 3/8 inches from corner
Bottom on trim of windows is 24.5" from floor
Glass is 31.5" from floor

In talking with dealers they think the Quadra Fire 1200i may fit in fireplace.
Front width: 30"
Front height: 21"
Rear width: 22"
Depth of Firebox: 15.8"
Drop from box to floor: 7"
Depth of hearth/bricks on floor 19"

If we get a freestanding, I like the tall european look and the old fashion like Harmon XXV, but don't think it can fit in the corner and not cover up the heating vent.

Living in MA, we have quite a few dealers around here. Some impress me more than others. I prefer a dealer that has an installation team and doesn't sub things out.

My husband travels quite a bit so the kids and I will take care of it.

Considering getting a second stove for fireplace on opposite side of the house, as it is most open and would bring heat upstairs. Thinking of waiting to see if the Harman comes out with bigger insert.

Oh wise Hearth members, what would you suggest?

I would put an insert in the fireplace. The corner install has too many windows too close according to the install directions, however, I have seen stoves in a location like that, in fact both my stoves are corner installs with a window right next to them.

Mine is in the corner. I used a piece of granite that matches the kitchen and had it cut to the minimum size for my stove. I did line the underside with some cork to keep the floor from getting scratched. I posted some pics when it was installed and you can see in my icon what it looks like. The back corner of the granite is 24" from the corner and I could have pushed the stone back another two inches but I wanted to leave a little space so I could get in the back easier. I am glad for the space when I clean the stove. I like my setup. It works well. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the stone about 4" longer. Just for looks.

Insert. One less vent to clean.

The Classic Bay 1200 is an awesome heater.

Although I would want a Freestanding for Maintenance and a bigger Ash pan and Hopper, the inset still kicks the chit out of a Lot of other models.

Have you looked at the Harman Accentra insert? Its a Classic Cast iron look. Its also a Very nice heater.

Insert. Make sure it's on rollers.

The Classic Bay 1200 is an awesome heater.

Although I would want a Freestanding for Maintenance and a bigger Ash pan and Hopper, the inset still kicks the chit out of a Lot of other models.

Have you looked at the Harman Accentra insert? Its a Classic Cast iron look. Its also a Very nice heater.

I like the Accentra but it is to big for the size of the firebox.

We are considering getting the Accentra especially when it is larger or similar for fireplace on the other side of the house.

I like our local Harman dealer.

Reactions: DexterDay
Any chance that a pellet insert could be attached to the duct work already installed in the prefab chimney? I took some photos when we had some siding work done. There is fresh air vent about 5 feet off the ground that looks similar to drier vent. The other that goes all the way up the chimney is solid and diameter is bit bigger.

I went to another dealer today that has better prices. He suggested Empress insert but from reading here seems reliability isn't great. Also had the Enviro Mini that could work in the corner.

Any chance that a pellet insert could be attached to the duct work already installed in the prefab chimney? I took some photos when we had some siding work done. There is fresh air vent about 5 feet off the ground that looks similar to drier vent. The other that goes all the way up the chimney is solid and diameter is bit bigger.

I went to another dealer today that has better prices. He suggested Empress insert but from reading here seems reliability isn't great. Also had the Enviro Mini that could work in the corner.

An insert will need a liner of its own, clear to the top. Either 3" or 4". The Pre-fabs chimney will not work. The Fresh air intake, may be able, to be used, but will probably have to be reduced in size at the stove.

We had an pellet stove and repair person over. Kitchen fireplace would need to be rebuilt to put in insert as it is to short. He said we had a 36x36" corner we could use in kitchen but with lay out of house would warm only part of first level. We talked about Harman XXV would fit there but stick out a bit. I have been looking at Quadfire Element and Enviro Mini as they have a smaller footprint.

He recommended insert into living room fireplace (other side of the house) and get the Harman as house layout would bring heat to more of the house.

Wondering if waiting until the bigger BTU Harman Accentra comes out would be wise 40K vs. 50 or more. Each of our floors is about 1550 SF.

I did find a dealer that price would be a little less for Enviro M55 insert than Harman Accentra.

How is the track record for the M55? Easy to repair and get parts?

Which is more important BTUs or brand?

My head is spinning a bit about all the options and differing opinions of dealers. Having the person who would do the repairs look at our house was incredibly helpful. He made suggestions how to improve air flow on our old Garrison Wood stove. He was straight forward.

Is Harman coming out with a bigger Accentra? I've never heard of the Quad Element. If you like the Harman dealer, stick with that. I absolutely did not like the local Harman dealer and felt the stoves were too noisy. I went to a couple of quad and enviro dealers and they all claimed theirs was the best. They also subbed out all of the installs. On a whim, I visited a dealer that sold both. I was leaning toward the M55 but he recommended against it vs the Mt Vernon. What finally sold me was the difference in cost on replacement igniters. $235 for the enviro and $68 on the Quad. He also said he sold 3 m55's to 1 mt Vernon. Go figure. I'm very pleased so far with my choice. Go with your gut.

Status
Not open for further replies.