whats a good temp to clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racing01

Nov 13, 2008
north jersey
im burning a older vc vigilant and i hear and read that a good way to keep the chimney fairly clean is to burn a good hot fire every once in awhile. so i guess my question is whats a good single wall pipe temp and for how long?

I have an insert, ca. 1979, so I can't give you a pipe temp. But twice a day, morning and evening, I run her up to 700 for fifteen-twenty minutes or so read at the rutland on the door. Maybe someone with more experience could give a guestimate as to what that would translate to a pipe temp. I cleaned my chimney this summer and got nada. This also takes the chill off MIGHTY quick :coolgrin:

I haven't had to clean mine yet (first season), but I would thing that 65-70 degrees would be about perfect.

-SF

Internal temp of 800 or surface temp of single wall at 400 should do ya. Get it there once or twice a day, and you should be good till the next inspection. You do inspect your stack, right....thought so. ;-)

IMHO, I don't think running the stove hot is going to 'clean' the chimney in any effective way. Once the creosote forms, the only two ways to get it out of the chimney are to burn it out or mechanically clean it out. The autoignition temp for creosote is quoted at ~630F. So what temp do you need to burn the stove at to get the entire flue, metal and all up to 630F? With a super hot fire, you might be able to get the first couple feet of pipe up to 600-700F, but I seriously doubt the last 3-4 feet up by the cap are going to be 700F.

A hot fire will help 'keep' the flue clean, but won't clean a dirty flue. It's best to be safe and run a brush down it a couple of times if you think it's bad enough for the 'fire cleaning'.

cozy heat said:
IMHO, I don't think running the stove hot is going to 'clean' the chimney in any effective way. Once the creosote forms, the only two ways to get it out of the chimney are to burn it out or mechanically clean it out. The autoignition temp for creosote is quoted at ~630F. So what temp do you need to burn the stove at to get the entire flue, metal and all up to 630F? With a super hot fire, you might be able to get the first couple feet of pipe up to 600-700F, but I seriously doubt the last 3-4 feet up by the cap are going to be 700F.

A hot fire will help 'keep' the flue clean, but won't clean a dirty flue. It's best to be safe and run a brush down it a couple of times if you think it's bad enough for the 'fire cleaning'.

Thank you.

cozy heat said:
A hot fire will help 'keep' the flue clean, but won't clean a dirty flue.

Very well said Corey. Thats where the inspection (followed by cleaning if need be) comes into play.

When I installed a woodstove in my first house, I asked a coworker how he cleaned his chimney - he said "Awwwwww, I jus' heat up th chimney until it's glowin' red about once a munth, and I never hav'tu really do anythang else. That keeps it purty clean." I think that was the last time I talekd to him about anything stove related. I do, however, suppose his method worked... :bug:

Yeah, I've heard the old burn it clean routine many times. I'd rather just run a brush down once half way through the season.

i do inspect it and sweep it once a month so far because its a new setup. i'm just not sure whats a normal amount of creosote. after 1 month of burning in oct. when it wasnt very cold but i was very excited to start using my stove i noticed a bunch of crunchy creosote in my single wall pipe so i pulled it apart and swept it out. it was only about 3/4 cup and when i swept the pipe on the outside i got about another cup out of it. at the time i was burning some pretty weak smoldering fires because i didnt know any better. i have since gotten a pipe thermo and been burning a lot hotter (thanks hearth.com) i'm going to check it out again in a couple weeks and do a little comparison. thank you for all the responses

cozy heat said:

I don't believe it could be said any finer!

Status
Not open for further replies.