whats cultured stone worth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I am getting ready to start an addition on my house.32x28 with a basement under it.I am putting a Quadra fire 7100 fireplace in and there is a guy at work that has enough cultured stone to do a 6'x10'x2'..Gona look at it tomorrow but he said it is kinda gray limestone looking. He started doing his fireplace and got about 2' done and changed his mind and went another direction. Whats cultured stone going for? How much would this be worth?

Google it. Get tha make/manufacturer and type if it really matters to know what it cost, exactly. Beyond that I have done a lot of work with cultired stone and without a photo and other information you are in the 4-10 dollars a sq' for anything I have installed. Currently doing an insert suround and wall for a friend.

For the Coronado brand - $6 per sqft is about where retail is gonna hit. Buying somebody elses mistake would equate to much less than that :p

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Much agreed w jags - offer a low ball and tell him you can buy new any time on sale a Manards/Lowes/HD or any other outlet including the WWW. There is not that much there so he will either store it for a long, long time or sell if cheap

I guess if it's discontinued stone and you absolutely love the look, it's worth what ever you're willing to pay for it. If you can't stand to look at it, the whole lot may not be worth 10 cents. When I did my FP, it was about $6.50/sf for the field stone and about the same per linear foot of corner stone. Not sure what 6x10x2 is...you only put stone on the face, so you're talking about doing a box 6x10x2 or a bump out 6x10x2?

Here is a pic of it.He doesnt remember what brand it was but it is just a gray color.here is a corner piece and a flat piece.Have no idea what its called.
000_0009-7.jpg

My 2 cents- That looks like -Pro-Stone, Desert Shadow color. Pro-Stone runs about $4.57/ sq.ft. or so, 10 sq.ft. per case.
The corners come in a 5' lineal case, so you end up with 5' of corners if you guage them correctly. About $35-45.00 per case.
This stuff is fragile, only to be used for verticle applications. Should be cool for a hearth backer, but a hearth floor- I'd pass.
Don't offer too much, could be a pain to color match if you end up needing more stone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.