What's in the wood stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Stacked up a grapple load two years ago. Tarped it and left it to season. The other day I took the tarp off and found a bunch of sawdust. It seems to be present in a few places, not every piece. Any ideas what it is? Seems to like my ash. I'm 13 miles north of Boston. image.jpg
image.jpg

Those close up shots don't look like ash. Ash borer will leave a D shaped hole in the bark.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Needs to see a body cause there are any number of critters that make dust like you are seeing. Don't worry, dey won't eat much whatever dey are!==c

Shoot straight is correct. Powder post beetles. We never worry about them except to make sure we whack off all that fine sawdust before taking the wood into the house.

PPB-1 - Copy.JPG PPB-3.JPG PPB-2.JPG

Those close up shots don't look like ash. Ash borer will leave a D shaped hole in the bark.
That's crazy they know a letter of our alphabet. Should be an A or a B though.

Reactions: Bacffin
My wood ID skills need some work.

Are these beetles hazardous to my house? I keep a week or two worth of wood on the front 3 season porch. Anyone have any problems with these guys attacking their house

Your house is probably safe if it is really in ash as mentioned above. Two beetles make flight holes like in the pictures. One is the Old House Borer which prefers softwoods. This rascal would love your house. :) However, this one was in a hardwood which would make it a Forest Longhorn Beetle. No problem here because he only attacks hardwoods, and won't infest seasoned woods like your furniture.

My wood ID skills need some work.

Are these beetles hazardous to my house? I keep a week or two worth of wood on the front 3 season porch. Anyone have any problems with these guys attacking their house

No. They won't attack your house.

Burn on! Thanks, it looks like I'm free to stacks on the porch.

Status
Not open for further replies.