What's in your steamer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
When we first got the steamer, I just put in water. Then I remembered I picked up some craft cinnamon sticks at a rummage sale, so I threw a few in. It works almost like seasoning, I haven't had to season it or had any rust problems since, and it smells nice too! So, do you put anything in your stove top steamer?

Young Living Essential oils. 100% pure. Cedar wood, lemon, pine, clove, peppermint. Favorite is Lavender.

Bit of peppermint or vanilla extract.

Three stoves. No steamer.

Maple tree sap. Been evaporating since the beginning of February. So far about 15 gallons of sap and a little over a quart of syrup, with some still in the pot on the stove. For all you real maple syrup producers that will read this, I have silver maples on my land and I tap 3 trees.

madison said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91717/

I have a cast iron pot. Open on top. Think it's OK. :)

gogreenburnwood said:
Maple tree sap. Been evaporating since the beginning of February. So far about 15 gallons of sap and a little over a quart of syrup, with some still in the pot on the stove. For all you real maple syrup producers that will read this, I have silver maples on my land and I tap 3 trees.
if you had sugar maples you could have had close to half a gallon of syrup with that 15 gallons of sap! I used to tap a mix of silver, red, and sugar maple. Now I only tap sugar maples and my syrup production has nearly doubled. I boiled close to 500 gallons so far this season in the past two weeks and have around 12 gallons of syrup, we'll be boiling off around 250 to 300 gallons this Saturday/Sunday if we get another cold night this week....

Water.

Usually water. Sometimes the cheapo liquid potpourri from Wally World.

I treated myself to a new container of cinnamon last week, so I'm using the old one in the steamer. Works OK, and atleast I didn't just throw it out.

Wally World scent,fresh linen and cinnamon.Aluminum kettle about 1/4' thick i got at Elmer's barn for $14.00.

I buy the liquid potpourri from The Dollar Tree. Currently have Black Cherry and plum. A case of 12 ordered online and shipped to the store for $12 bucks. Had Cinnamon and apple last month and the previous month was Christmas Wreath.

We have a real nice cast iron pot and trivet. I can't recall the company, but it was from a casting co in PA. We fill it with water, cinnamon sticks and cloves from Costco. Nice for the smell but it really doesn't put any noticeable moisture in the air. So we use a evaporative humidifier that puts 10 gallons a day into the air. That makes a difference.

Water.

Cheap smelly stuff from Walmart . . . I'm a bit partial to the Cinnamon smelling stuff.

Cinnamon Stick and orange peel. Smells yummy!

I was putting some oil I bought at the stove store, but when I ran out of water it gave off a terrible burning smell. Now its just water, sometimes cin sticks

logger said:
I was putting some oil I bought at the stove store, but when I ran out of water it gave off a terrible burning smell. Now its just water, sometimes cin sticks
That's why I like using 100% pure oils. No petroleum products. If it says not for internal use, guess what, your breathing it in with the house closed up tight. You can even cook with the oils I use adding oregano oil to sauce or what ever you need. I even take a few drops of lemon oil and add it to my drinking water. I also use clove oil in water in a spray bottle to ward off any potential ticks on myself and my animals. Clove smells nice in the stove water as well.

xclimber said:
logger said:
That's why I like using 100% pure oils. No petroleum products. If it says not for internal use, guess what, your breathing it in with the house closed up tight. You can even cook with the oils I use adding oregano oil to sauce or what ever you need. I even take a few drops of lemon oil and add it to my drinking water. I also use clove oil in water in a spray bottle to ward off any potential ticks on myself and my animals. Clove smells nice in the stove water as well.

But if the water boiled away won't those oils still be the last things in the pot and potentially burn / stink?

pen

pen said:
xclimber said:
logger said:

But if the water boiled away won't those oils still be the last things in the pot and potentially burn / stink?

pen
No they wouldn't stink. You were probably smelling the carrier oil used in the non pure oil blend. You can actually drip the pure oils on a log before you place them in a fire place to get the oil's aroma's as well. Besides, only one or two drops of oil are placed in a water pot. Being they are 100% pure oil, you use a few drops instead of a dropper full. The oils I use are actually therapeutic so your not only creating a nice smell but doing yourself and pets a favor as well. Lavender seems to keep the dogs snoozing:<)

I use a stone for the oils and never let my pot steam down

I have a log cabin steamer on top of my liberty, I don't think it really does much good but a wood stove doesn't look complete without a steamer on top of it. I put the eucalyptus fragrance that came with my rainbow in it but at $22 for four small bottles I don't use very much at a time.

xclimber said:
logger said:

Thanks.. so where can I get some?

Status
Not open for further replies.