What's the difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Between smoldering and coaling?? On several occations there have been good flames when I close the air on my insert, and after a while the flames are gone but everything is glowing red. Is this good or bad. I will throw in the part where I say "my wood isn't the greatest", just cause I'm a noob. Thanks!

Generically speaking...

"Smouldering" is wood trying to burn without enough air and/or heat to burn properly. This is an inefficient burn that makes a lot of smoke. Unless you burn the smoke (i.e. have a cat engaged hot enough to burn it) you are likely to have this smoke with all the VOCs and water condense in your chimney and create creosote deposits. Not a good thing.

"Coaling" is the stage of the burn when most (if not all) the VOCs have burned out of the wood leaving basically just carbon behind to burn - this is essentially charcoal burning and it too requires considerable air to burn clean, but the byproduct of an inefficient burn of the coal is CO (carbonmonoxide) which while potentially deadly if it is not vented out the chimney, it won't gunk up your chimney.

Add more air to either one and you will get some flames going. Both will glow red. Smoldering will happen early in the burn cycle, coaling is late part of the burn cycle.

James02 said:
Between smoldering and coaling?? On several occations there have been good flames when I close the air on my insert, and after a while the flames are gone but everything is glowing red. Is this good or bad. I will throw in the part where I say "my wood isn't the greatest", just cause I'm a noob. Thanks!

I think smoldering is more of an oxygen deprived (in-efficient) burn and a lot of smoke is produced. Coaling is the final phase of an efficient burn, where the wood has burned into coals. No flames or smoke are visible during the coaling phase, while a lot of heat is still being produced.

Slow1 said:
Generically speaking...

"Smouldering" is wood trying to burn without enough air and/or heat to burn properly. This is an inefficient burn that makes a lot of smoke. Unless you burn the smoke (i.e. have a cat engaged hot enough to burn it) you are likely to have this smoke with all the VOCs and water condense in your chimney and create creosote deposits. Not a good thing.

"Coaling" is the stage of the burn when most (if not all) the VOCs have burned out of the wood leaving basically just carbon behind to burn - this is essentially charcoal burning and it too requires considerable air to burn clean, but the byproduct of an inefficient burn of the coal is CO (carbonmonoxide) which while potentially deadly if it is not vented out the chimney, it won't gunk up your chimney.

Add more air to either one and you will get some flames going. Both will glow red. Smoldering will happen early in the burn cycle, coaling is late part of the burn cycle.

That's kinda what I thought...I've seen the not so fun side of smouldering. And I do have a CO detector on the mantle so my pup and I don't die.

James02 said:
Slow1 said:
Generically speaking...

That's kinda what I thought...I've seen the not so fun side of smouldering. And I do have a CO detector on the mantle so my pup and I don't die.

Another way to check smoldering is to look at you stack outside. If you see smoke in an EPA stove, you are smoldering. Open the air more to get flames rolling. When coaling, there is not smoke. You may see heat vapors and that's fine.

if you're coaling and you open the air full, or crack the door open you'll just get more red with no flames or mabe just a few blueish flames. If you're smouldering and you crack the door open you should see some yellow flames.

Slow1 said:
Generically speaking...

Slow, that has to be the best description of both I've read anywhere. ;-)

Smoldering = bad.

Coaling = good.

Status
Not open for further replies.