When do we start?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
For the first time in 40 years , I paid to have my chimney/stove cleaned. ( too old to be on the roof anymore)

Cold mornings have me chomping at the woodpile(;em

I'm 3-4 weeks from firing up

Old thread... I thought this was a thread about wanting to start burning wood. Now that you mentioned it... I let a friend borrow my sooteater and he put in new strings for his 8”; I need to cut them back for my 6”.

Three to four weeks? You upstate New York folks must be made of sturdier stock than us Philly guys. My neighbor has already had his stove burning on a handful of cold nights/mornings. I refuse to start before November, but we're flirting with highs <50* and lows near freezing in next week. (Also, I'm SUNY grad - go Danes!)

I’ve already burned 5 loads between two stoves, near Philly. I’ll light up almost any time the mercury dips into the 40’s in October.

Funny how it needs to be below 30F to get the same urge by the time April rolls around. [emoji3]

Reactions: fire_man
Started burning most nights on 10/3, started 24/7 on 10/22. 6 splits on average, not stuffing the stove yet.

We've just had a couple fires so far. I'm trying to minimize cold startups. The heat pump is keeping us cozy. However, looks like we are in for some colder nights starting Friday so we may start having a few more evening fires before November.

We have had a few here already on nights in 30s....but until night temps stay in 30s or lower we wont burn full time.

The heat pump is keeping us cozy.

We r running our heat pump as well...they are pretty efficient and cheap until around freezing mark when emergency kicks in.....then its heat pump off stove on.

Yes, it is a much cleaner and more efficient way to heat. Our backup electric kicks on at 25º, but I don't wait that long. This year I am going to try to wait until daytime temps sink into the mid-40s and so we can burn 24/7, but I may burn an occasional fire before then. We have a lot of splitter scrap to burn up.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
just reading this thread and then having to go lock up my turkey, ducks and chickens for the night was all i needed to go fire up the stove;lol

I mowed the lawn from an hour and fifteen before sunset to forty five minutes past sunset last night, and even though I think it was only swinging a few degrees to either side of 60F at that time of day, zipping around in the long shadows of late afternoon at high speed on the zero turn for two hours had me frozen to the core. Lit up one stove on a full load of red oak, plus one piece of hickory. Now it’s 39F outside and 75F inside.

i should probably mow one last time and put the clippings on the garden to compost in...but....yeah.....motivation just hasnt been there yet...haha

… Funny how it needs to be below 30F to get the same urge by the time April rolls around …

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. First fire was October 16. No way I'd have fires at these temperatures in April. :)

No fire yesterday since temperature was upper-60s. Probably no fire today, too. Mid-60s.

Took the day off work yesterday to install my liner since the weather was so nice. Woke up to 6" snow and 24F. Low on Monday night is supposed to be 2F. Lit the stove this morning for the first time this season, and looks like we will burn 24/7 for a while.

45º outside. I lit a fire this morning.

Took the day off work yesterday to install my liner since the weather was so nice. Woke up to 6" snow and 24F. Low on Monday night is supposed to be 2F. Lit the stove this morning for the first time this season, and looks like we will burn 24/7 for a while.
Damn! It was only in the mid-40's here, when I woke up this morning. I'm in a tee shirt at 63F now!

No snow in the forecast, we will see 72F tomorrow.

It’s been fairly warm in the Adirondacks this fall. We had our first hard freeze on October 4th. 26 degrees. Made my first fire on Oct 10th. No snow yet at my elevation but the top of Whiteface had 7” last week. First snow at my elevation is usually mid Oct so we are past due. Temps in the 60’s coming up this week. Ive been burning 6-8 splits of dry maple every other night to take the chill out of the house. This is my first season with the Jotul F500 Oslo. It throws some serious heat! I should be burning daily by Nov 1st if the weather forecast is correct.

Three to four weeks? You upstate New York folks must be made of sturdier stock than us Philly guys. My neighbor has already had his stove burning on a handful of cold nights/mornings. I refuse to start before November, but we're flirting with highs <50* and lows near freezing in next week. (Also, I'm SUNY grad - go Danes!)

Not sturdier, just a different set up. Every one is different

We have a massive free standing EPA stove at the far end of the convection path for the house.
In front of a big brick fireplace on an outside wall that absorbs a lot of heat when we start.

Therefore, my practice is not to start until I know I'll keep it going for at least 2-3 days. Usually, sub freezing at night and 40s during the day.

Always manage to burn all the wood

Last edited:
Woke up to some white stuff and -9 °C (16°f) this morning and the temp is still dropping. Safe to say that the cold snap got us good! That's way colder than seasonal for here- we are usually just having a few evening fires to take the chill off and letting the ng furnace run as needed. Sipping a coffee in a t-shirt with the T5 humming along makes it easier to accept! IMG_20191028_091634_4.jpgIMG_20191028_091818_1.jpg

Reactions: moresnow
We'll be in the low 30s every night this week. 34º this morning. The T6 is burning, started it a couple of hours ago. 675º stovetop right now, burning doug fir scraps.

20191028_092027_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I sure do like that T6, begreen. If I ever go non-cat, that gentle giant is at the top of my list.

I sure do like that T6, begreen. If I ever go non-cat, that gentle giant is at the top of my list.
It's growing on me too. 10 yrs of service and all I have done are gaskets.

66 here today but theres suppose to be two rounds of cold fronts go through this week. by the end of the week highs in the 40s and lows in the high 20s to low 30s. theyre suggesting halloween night some of the rain may turn to wet snow flakes. have still yet to have a killing freeze and no mornings of any real widespread frost to knock out the annual plants...which is amazing.

Stove season is in full effect here. A handful of nights thus far in the 14-16F range with highs around 50F. The cold front that is moving in this week will put my new stoves to the test:

1572294299445.png