When is winter going to end ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jss227

Burning Hunk
Dec 15, 2014
Hancock Maine
Just cracked open ton #11. Plus have used 120 gallons of propane. And it's snowing. I give up.

Last Friday Hey It's Spring

Would have liked for it to end today. Sunny and warm. But looking at the forecast we fall off the cliff again tomorrow night.

Over 9 feet of snow and one of the coldest winters on record in Boston. Stayed warm and my ariens snow thrower deluxe 28 paid for itself. Bought it in September along with my first pellet stove. I made sure I was prepared so luckily I don't have to worry about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete Zahria
26 tomorrow night is off the cliff for me.

The reason I don't live in Vermont. ;lol

Reactions: Owen1508
not soon enough

A friend at work receives emails with forecasts that have been dead accurate in predicting short term and long term trends all winter. The sender subscribes to a variety of paid forecast services, and he summarizes them and passes them on to friends. On Tuesday, he got one that said we should expect temps to stay well below average all through April, and another 12-18" of snow is still likely, although it may only be an inch or two at a time. I have 70 bags left, might go try to find yet another 10-20 bags.

26 tomorrow night is off the cliff for me.

The reason I don't live in Vermont. ;lol

26...toss on your shorts and go out and mow the dead grass.....

Here in Wisconsin, land of the frozen tundra, spring seems to have arrived a month early. March has been pretty much in the 40s and 50s during the day, with a few days venturing into the 60s.

Moreover, we got only about 20 inches of snow all winter -- we normally get about 50. All the storms seem to have passed south of us. February and November were cold but January was pretty wimpy.

Reactions: bbfarm
Here in Wisconsin, land of the frozen tundra, spring seems to have arrived a month early. March has been pretty much in the 40s and 50s during the day, with a few days venturing into the 60s.

Moreover, we got only about 20 inches of snow all winter -- we normally get about 50. All the storms seem to have passed south of us. February and November were cold but January was pretty wimpy.

Might be nice for a city dweller but for a farmer, thats bad. What it means in no ground moisture so no reserve to provide moisture for crops. Glad I don't live there, I farm.

26...toss on your shorts and go out and mow the dead grass.....

Decided to throw on the warmup suit and go out and split wood instead.

Might be nice for a city dweller but for a farmer, thats bad. What it means in no ground moisture so no reserve to provide moisture for crops. Glad I don't live there, I farm.
I know, it has been dry here. Fortunately you Michiganians have the lake effect to generate deep drifts. I had to drive up to the UP last month to get some decent skiing in -- stayed in Munising, where driving was an adventure because the snowbanks obstructed the view at every intersection. I drove by one that had half a bumper cover sticking out of it.

Beautiful area, though, with or without snow.

I have an over abundance of moisture* out back, please send self addressed stamped envelope if you want some forwarded.

*Snow is the poor man's fertilizer.

Today's high is 8 degrees below a typical January day's high. Yay.

I have an over abundance of moisture* out back, please send self addressed stamped envelope if you want some forwarded.

*Snow is the poor man's fertilizer.

Me too - I'll be happy to send along some white stuff. At this point, I figure it will be the end of April before I see any of that dead grass.

As long as this summer here in NE isn't the 3 H's i'll be happy, last summer was cool so to speak, year before was BRUTAL

A friend at work receives emails with forecasts that have been dead accurate in predicting short term and long term trends all winter. The sender subscribes to a variety of paid forecast services, and he summarizes them and passes them on to friends. On Tuesday, he got one that said we should expect temps to stay well below average all through April, and another 12-18" of snow is still likely, although it may only be an inch or two at a time. I have 70 bags left, might go try to find yet another 10-20 bags.
70? I'm looking at 22 bags left, never have I burned so many

Status
Not open for further replies.