when replacing a wood stove with a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2rach

Jul 16, 2008
PA
Do you still need to use the double wall pipe? or can it just be single wall pipe. There is double wall pipe in the existing flue. A friend will be doing this and we are getting conflicting stories on this. He just purchased the Englander PDV. Please let me know so if we can save him some money we'd like to let him know. Any one have experience with this

You need to use pellet vent and not single wall pipe to connect the stove to your flue.
Read the installation manual.

Never ever ever ever ever use single wall pipe with a pellet stove unless it is already inside a masonry chimney.

Where is your stove dealer? Have you spoke to him/her about this?

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Where is your stove dealer?

Monroe, Virginia.

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I sold my wood stove, and am installing a pellet stove. I'm going to be using the upper section of the original 8" double wall insulated pipe that is going through the ceiling & roof, but the pipe from the pellet stove to that will still be double wall.

I'm waiting on 1 piece that's backordered to finish my install and get it inspected.

Don't use single wall!!

There is a lot of good advice and suggestions on forums. Please speak to your Dealer first before getting advice on a forum about something that can harm your family or create a liability for yourself.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Never ever ever ever ever use single wall pipe with a pellet stove unless it is already inside a masonry chimney.

Where is your stove dealer? Have you spoke to him/her about this?

Eric
eric is correct, type "L" or "PL" are the only type pipe you should use. also stay wawy from type"B" even though it looks like the same stuff it isnt.

call my shop if you wish to have a more detailed discussion about how to properly install the ESW unit to a woodstove chimney. number is 800-245-6489 hours are 8-5 eastern m-f

Status
Not open for further replies.