When to buy a stove and which one to buy? (House floorplan attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
Alright, so here's the deal...

I have a little Waterford 104 that can heat the den. On the other side of the wall is a field stone fireplace that I am looking to put an insert into. With a bigger stove, more centralized heat, how obsessed I am with getting free wood, and the fact that the house is all electric heat... I am 100% sure I will be upgrading. The two problems are when to buy and what to buy.

My options:

When to buy --- Buy an insert now. Buy an insert in the middle of the summer (what kind of discounts can I get in the off season?).
In April I will be receiving the $8,000 first time home buyer tax rebate with my tax return. Would be nice to spend free money to get the insert, and then get 30% of my free money back again. I can make it through this winter. I have no problem getting my wife a few sweatshirts... So I guess I answered my own first question.
Buy later - where can I get the best discounts?

What to buy --- There's a thousand different stoves that fit my requirements. I own a 1,360 sq.ft. Ranch. I would like something that is set for 1,600-2,000 sq.ft., looks good (the only thing that's important to the wife), does the job, and is on the cheaper side (obviously)...
The dimensions on my fireplace:
Depth: 24"
Rear Width: 24"
Front Width: 30"
Height: 28"

I would like to follow up with, cheapest place to get the 6" stainless liner kit. Anyone got a really good price?

I want as many opinions as possible (no one here has any problems giving it that's for sure)... I never make an uneducated decision. This site has taught me so much already and I can't ever see myself helping as many people as have already helped me.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

This is going to shock a lot of people but I'm going to recommend a Pacific Energy - the biggest insert that fits in your hole.

Buy in the late Winter or Spring. Business is dying down and you have the most options.

Do you have a pic of the fireplace? Is a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace possible? If so, you will have a lot more options.

All of the above. +1

John_M

SolarAndWood said:
Do you have a pic of the fireplace? Is a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace possible? If so, you will have a lot more options.

I am a little partial towards the inserts for my situation. I think they look cleaner in the more formal part of my house. I will post a picture of the fireplace tonight. For now, here's a picture of the house floor plan (attached). I definitely need to centralize the heat source better.

Attachments

• When to buy a stove and which one to buy? (House floorplan attached)
    Insert Location.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 676
No, what I have right now definitely isn't to code. The flue for the wood stove was punched into the back of the chimney. I don't run the fireplace at all. The masonry chimney only has one flue.

I would love to run two chimney liners up the existing flue to the roof so I could leave the wood stove and add an insert (building inspector that would be ok), but I have accepted the fact that there's not going to be enough room and I am going to need to disconnect the wood stove, cement the back of the chimney, and only run the chimney liner for the insert...

Best time to shop for new is late Feb into March & April when the dealers are trying to make deals to keep stove sales going.

Ya, I think I can make it until then... Gonna be a long summer. lol. What kind of price reductions can you get during the slower part of the year? What kind of prices can you get on floor models?

Wheres the best place to order the 6" chimney liner kit?

What stove do you all suggest for my sq.ft. and fireplace size?

Thanks,
Kevin

An insert in that part of the house should do a good job for you. If your goal is 24/7 wood heat, I would look at the bigger fireboxes like the PE Summit or BK Princess. If your primary goal is a particular look, let your wife choose and don't worry about firebox size. Incidentally, I have done both and the committee process resulted in warped stoves. The third time a stove miraculously showed up one day.

I think we are going to go through a round based on what we need to heat, what will fix in the fireplace, and burn time. Then narrow it down with her and get the gold/silver finish on whichever one we get to add a little bit of character.

I thought more people would be on here saying I like this stove, I hated this stove, and why. Guess I need to do my own research...

Slightly off topic, you said you would receive your first time home-buyers tax credit in April when you file your 2009 taxes. I do not think many people know but the IRS is paying interest back to last April if you file a 1040X and claim the credit on your 2008 tax return. You will possibly get it quicker and with the interest, which will probably be about $150 or $200 (guess). I did this and a friend at work did this and we got ours in approx. 6 weeks. I would suggest to help expedite your refund, send in the HUD-1 with all of the appropriate forms.

Disclaimer, this is just an idea and not tax advise, talk to you tax professional blah blah blah.

Ha, waiting to get the return will make me wait to get the stove though lol... I'll have to look into it. Using free money to buy an insert and then getting 30% of that free money back again for free is pretty sweet though.

You're somewhat limited by the 30 inch width of your fireplace. The big PE Summit insert won't fit and neither will the mid-size PE Pacific insert (both too wide). However, the new mid-size PE Super insert will fit, as will the BK Princess insert. The PE stoves are non-catalytic, the BK stoves are catalytic. There are pros and cons to each as you'll see if you do some research on this forum. I'm partial to PE stoves myself, because that's what I have. The PE and BK inserts are plate steel and black, but you can put a gold door on either one to dress it up. The PE is probably less expensive than the BK, but check your local dealers. If you want something dressier (and more expensive), the Jotul cast iron inserts look nice and are good heaters from what I've seen on this forum. The big 550 Rockland will be a tight fit, if it fits at all--it's 30 inches wide. The mid-sized 450 Kennebec definitely will fit. Most stove manufacturers web sites list the minimum fireplace dimensions for their inserts, so you can check and see what will fit.

You might be able to get 50% off your stove next year. Depends what they pass for Cash for Caulkers bill.

Thought that was a joke. I dont know if that is going to apply to wood stoves. Seems to me more like energy efficient boilers, big appliances.

Not worred about that, more worried about what insert to get, anyone got any advice, inserts to stay away from, to look into??

It's easier for you to shop around and tell us what you like and can get locally. There are too many models out there to list here. Most are good units with some variations in baffling, steel gauge, and front trimmings. I am wondering if a Regency i2400 will fit, but need to head out. Maybe later.

No, the Cash for Caulkers bill is not a joke. Obama is pushing for 50% tax credit for all sorts of energy related products including furnaces, wood stoves, refrigerators, insulation, etc. Wood stoves are biomass heating devices and the new EPA stoves are considered energy efficient. You are going to get at least a 30% credit next year, but if this bill goes through that could be 50%. Nothing has been finalized yet.

Does it say wood stoves in there? I didnt see that anywhere. If it's 50%, maybe I should wait a little longer...

BeGreen said:
It's easier for you to shop around and tell us what you like and can get locally. There are too many models out there to list here. Most are good units with some variations in baffling, steel gauge, and front trimmings. I am wondering if a Regency i2400 will fit, but need to head out. Maybe later.

Nice looking stove, anyone have any experience with Appalachian Wood Stoves?

fredarm said:
You're somewhat limited by the 30 inch width of your fireplace. The big PE Summit insert won't fit and neither will the mid-size PE Pacific insert (both too wide). However, the new mid-size PE Super insert will fit, as will the BK Princess insert. The PE stoves are non-catalytic, the BK stoves are catalytic. There are pros and cons to each as you'll see if you do some research on this forum. I'm partial to PE stoves myself, because that's what I have. The PE and BK inserts are plate steel and black, but you can put a gold door on either one to dress it up. The PE is probably less expensive than the BK, but check your local dealers. If you want something dressier (and more expensive), the Jotul cast iron inserts look nice and are good heaters from what I've seen on this forum. The big 550 Rockland will be a tight fit, if it fits at all--it's 30 inches wide. The mid-sized 450 Kennebec definitely will fit. Most stove manufacturers web sites list the minimum fireplace dimensions for their inserts, so you can check and see what will fit.

Ive been looking at all the sites. I guess I am looking for someone to say, you NEED to get this stove. Best thing I ever did.

Nobody knows what is in the bill because the Senate is writing it and they only work like 3 days per year, so...

Which stove you "need" is based in part on "what" stove you need. For example:

You need a good, easy to use heater that's not too expensive and looks pretty good (especially with the gold door), you need the PE.

You need really long burn times (12+ hours) but don't need it to look pretty, you need the BK.

You need a very attractive good heater but don't need to worry about how much you spend, you need the Jotul.

See what I mean? The only stove I've heard people say stay away from are the Vermont Castings/Dutchwest "Everburn" stoves and there are even people who like those. Visit your local dealers, narrow down your selections to 3 or 4 stoves you like, and post those choices for opinions. There are very few bad stoves, just different stoves for different needs.

fredarm said:
Which stove you "need" is based in part on "what" stove you need. For example:

You need a good, easy to use heater that's not too expensive and looks pretty good (especially with the gold door), you need the PE.

You need really long burn times (12+ hours) but don't need it to look pretty, you need the BK.

You need a very attractive good heater but don't need to worry about how much you spend, you need the Jotul.

See what I mean? The only stove I've heard people say stay away from are the Vermont Castings/Dutchwest "Everburn" stoves and there are even people who like those. Visit your local dealers, narrow down your selections to 3 or 4 stoves you like, and post those choices for opinions. There are very few bad stoves, just different stoves for different needs.

Which PE would you suggest - pacific or super?

How about Quadrafire or Appalachian?

Status
Not open for further replies.