When to replace T5 baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reagib

Nov 21, 2019
SW Missouri
We have a PE Alderlea T5 insert. How often should the baffle be replaced? Or how do we know if it needs to be replaced? If I remember right, we've had it for three full winters and use it as our main source of heat in our 2000 sq ft ranch home. We remove the baffle yearly to sweep the chimney, replace the baffle gasket and then put the baffle back in.

Thanks.

There is no set time. The baffle is quite robust. If the stove is not overfired it can last a long time. Our baffle is going on its 14th season. It looks fine and may make it to 20 or longer.

If the baffle sags or buckles badly and cracks on the bottom it should be replaced.

Reactions: reagib
Same as begreen = 14th year! Ours has a slight distortion, but sits flat & functions fine. I'm sure they will last at least 20 yrs if stove not overfired, likely much longer.

Reactions: begreen and reagib
I think I have about a decade on mine with no plans to replace. It'd have to really be sagging, for me to consider replacing it.

Reactions: reagib
There is no set time. The baffle is quite robust. If the stove is not overfired it can last a long time. Our baffle is going on its 14th season. It looks fine and may make it to 20 or longer.

If the baffle sags or buckles badly and cracks on the bottom it should be replaced.
When you say overfire can you explain that. Do you mean burning at too high of a temperature and if so what is considered too high? Thanks

Keep the stove top and flue temps under 750º and it should be good.

Reactions: Itslay90
Flue temps of 750 are right in the middle of the "normal" range. I think you can go much higher than 750 in the flue without risking an overfire event. 900?

Flue temps of 750 are right in the middle of the "normal" range. I think you can go much higher than 750 in the flue without risking an overfire event. 900?
Yes, one can go higher on the flue temp, but it is sub-optimal and a waste of heat.

Yes, one can go higher on the flue temp, but it is sub-optimal and a waste of heat.
So is a 750 stove top. We're not talking about optimal but about overfire redline.

So is a 750 stove top. We're not talking about optimal but about overfire redline.
I was recommending running the stove so for good operation. That includes longevity and efficiency, not just stress limits. 900º is too hot for the stove top. Our baffle is now 15 yrs old and just has a minor sag. I think this is due to staying within practical operating limits and avoiding extremes.

Reactions: Itslay90