When will the price of pellets crash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
34 here this morning, 40 the day before ................... nyahnyah:p
51 here this afternoon. Has not been this warm since November 3rd.
Trying to get a stove back up that the owner had neglected the venting and door gaskets and and and :(
Pheasants are running across the road mocking me.

I think the United States is trying to get rid of Coal, This is creating a demand for other fuels so alternate energy sources are going to get a price increase.
I've been wrong before at least that is what my wife tells me.

coal use has declined because of the low price of natural gas... plus gas is a little "greener", so the epa is up their butts a little less.. all under construction, and recently completed power plants are designed for gas at this point... fracking.. love it or hate it is responsible for the NG glut, the Repubs in Congress are as well in the pocket of the frackers as they are the coal industry, and they will side with the biggest donors as always

Sounds like you need to fire your buyer! I've dealt with HD, Lowes, and Tractor Supply trying to get our products carried by them and they are VERY hard to deal with.

I have a feeling that the problen is above him. I have been out of stock on pellets for over 3 weeks and I can't confirm but I am hearing that our local HD is having no problems getting pellets. So I don't know whats going on, I just know that the current retail price is below cost. Even if pellets were being sold at $1.00 above cost... The retailer still isn't actually making money. When you factor in payroll to unload those from a truck, then load them for customers, selling damaged/ripped bags at half price, other discounts customers get through veterans discount, credit cards or coupons and all other overhead... You are now losing money. I really don't get where people here think that retailers are making any money on pellets. Yes a business exists to make money but there are certain products you just have to carry and they don't all make you money. But you have to have them because of the kind of business you are.

C'mon Sidecar.... Be honest here.;) You crack me up! I liked to dirty tricks too. I can see saying it now.......... Uh, honey.... can ya come pick me up........ No I was picked up by the cops. No, I thought Sidecar had a great idea.....

Funny stuff! It is very fun to think about but not wise to do...... IF you get caught.

excerpts from our local police page... talk about a zero..

"Officer Bxxx needs your help to identify this male and female.
The male is suspected of causing damage to a GMC 2500 pickup truck.
After ...shopping in Walmart, they went out into the parking lot and the male
allegedly kicked the door, broke a side mirror and threw a shopping cart onto the hood of the truck.
They left in a small white sedan, possibly a Honda."

This all because the other guy -> parked to close to his car !!!

Wood pellets . Com up here has $10 off. Don't buy from them anyway... Burned wood today anyway...

fwiw Chernobyl is not in Russia

No kidding, well my last world history class was a long time ago, so I have a little more info for us all.

The Ukrainian SSR was a founding member of the United Nations,[7] although it was legally represented by the All-Union state in its affairs with countries outside of the Soviet Union. Upon the Soviet Union's dissolution and perestroika, the Ukrainian SSR was transformed into the modern nation-state of Ukraine, although Ukraine's new constitution was only ratified on 28 June 1996.

Throughout its 72-year history, the republic's borders changed many times, with a significant portion of what is nowWestern Ukraine being annexed by Soviet forces in 1939 from the Republic of Poland, and the addition of formerly RussianCrimea in 1954. From the start, the eastern city of Kharkiv served as the republic's capital. However, in 1934, the seat of government was subsequently moved to the city of Kiev, which remained the capital of newly independent Ukraine.

Although it isn't Russia now who do you think is calling the shots?

No kidding, well my last world history class was a long time ago, so I have a little more info for us all.

The Ukrainian SSR was a founding member of the United Nations,[7] although it was legally represented by the All-Union state in its affairs with countries outside of the Soviet Union. Upon the Soviet Union's dissolution and perestroika, the Ukrainian SSR was transformed into the modern nation-state of Ukraine, although Ukraine's new constitution was only ratified on 28 June 1996.

Throughout its 72-year history, the republic's borders changed many times, with a significant portion of what is nowWestern Ukraine being annexed by Soviet forces in 1939 from the Republic of Poland, and the addition of formerly RussianCrimea in 1954. From the start, the eastern city of Kharkiv served as the republic's capital. However, in 1934, the seat of government was subsequently moved to the city of Kiev, which remained the capital of newly independent Ukraine.

Although it isn't Russia now who do you think is calling the shots?

Not Russia if current events are any indication... although they are doing their best to control it, as well as to annex portions of it Russia desires.. this has been going on since time out of mind. My wife is a Russian with ethnic roots in Ukraine and Bellarus, seems the Russkis are fine with Mr Putin's imprialism of late... the old timers miss the old CCCP

This isn't actually the case.
THe industrial pellet market is severely affected by global politics. All these new plants were signed off on years ago when business was booming and the expectation was that coal was dead and oil was drying up..

The industrial pellet market is mainly affected by the pollution coal fired energy plants put out, which Europe figured out a while ago. As I said , 50%!! of our pellet production goes there. Even when last winter people in he U.S. were hard fought to find them.

fwiw Chernobyl is not in Russia

Geography and/or a good command of the English language is not a forte' of America today.....

C'mon Sidecar.... Be honest here.;) You crack me up! I liked to dirty tricks too. I can see saying it now.......... Uh, honey.... can ya come pick me up........ No I was picked up by the cops. No, I thought Sidecar had a great idea.....

Funny stuff! It is very fun to think about but not wise to do...... IF you get caught.

Lets just say I know it works because.... especially the vaseline on the wipers. One wipe and it's lights out....;lol

Not Russia if current events are any indication... although they are doing their best to control it, as well as to annex portions of it Russia desires.. this has been going on since time out of mind. My wife is a Russian with ethnic roots in Ukraine and Bellarus, seems the Russkis are fine with Mr Putin's imprialism of late... the
Not Russia if current events are any indication... although they are doing their best to control it, as well as to annex portions of it Russia desires.. this has been going on since time out of mind. My wife is a Russian with ethnic roots in Ukraine and Bellarus, seems the Russkis are fine with Mr Putin's imprialism of late... the old timers miss the old CCCP
Are you a lawyer?

I'm still thinking a big plunge in pellet prices next year if oil drops. I'm thinking that there be a huge glut in market. I'm still going to burn unless oil prices get rediculously low. The good thing about burning pellets is the fact that I know I am using an AMERICAN product. I really don't like buying anything from Russians or Saudi Arabians! USA USA USA

Reactions: Peterfield
I have a feeling that the problen is above him. I have been out of stock on pellets for over 3 weeks and I can't confirm but I am hearing that our local HD is having no problems getting pellets. So I don't know whats going on, I just know that the current retail price is below cost. Even if pellets were being sold at $1.00 above cost... The retailer still isn't actually making money. When you factor in payroll to unload those from a truck, then load them for customers, selling damaged/ripped bags at half price, other discounts customers get through veterans discount, credit cards or coupons and all other overhead... You are now losing money. I really don't get where people here think that retailers are making any money on pellets. Yes a business exists to make money but there are certain products you just have to carry and they don't all make you money. But you have to have them because of the kind of business you are.
Especially when your local HD delivers pellets of a certain tonnage for free. I got my 5 tons for $239 a ton, delivered free. I'm over 10 miles away, and the delivery forklift had to drive ¼ mile down my dirt road to deliver each pallet.

excerpts from our local police page... talk about a zero..

"Officer Bxxx needs your help to identify this male and female.
The male is suspected of causing damage to a GMC 2500 pickup truck.
After ...shopping in Walmart, they went out into the parking lot and the male
allegedly kicked the door, broke a side mirror and threw a shopping cart onto the hood of the truck.
They left in a small white sedan, possibly a Honda."

This all because the other guy -> parked to close to his car !!!
I've certainly felt like that guy, but have never acted out. Recently, I stopped at the PO to mail a package, and when I came out, there was a car in the handicap spot with the driver sitting in the car, and no, he wasn't handicapped, but he had State Rep tags on his car. And, he was parked so close to me that I had to climb into my car from the passenger door! I was flabbergasted that someone could be so arrogant and rude.

Vasoline on wipers and too close in the parking lot.

Yep, this one is so far off the rails it ain't even funny anymore.

cat flushing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.