Where can I buy some Micore????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the mfr's web site and found a local supplier, Curtis Lumber.
They had to order it.

Just had a conversation with someone at the tile store about micore. He wanted to know why I used three layers of cement board instead of micore. I said I couldn't find any. I ask if he knew where to get some (thinking he should know since he is asking me about using it) Told me no. Lol!! The stuff is harder than it should be to find.

I thought someone here posted something about Lowes possibly carrying Micore . . .

firefighterjake said:
I thought someone here posted something about Lowes possibly carrying Micore . . .

I remember seeing that too. Must only be in some markets. Ivasked at both stores near me and nobody even knew what it was.

Forget it! I spent an hour on the phone, nobody carries it including the above stores. It is made by USG and is an industrial product not even on their website. You can order it but in quanities of 80 sheets. Now if I only had 79 more stoves....

Strange, cause i got mine at the NH Kamco, just like cmon start - but that was a few years ago. As I recall, they did not have it on hand but got a single sheet for me in a few days (from Boston store, I imagine).

Curtis Lumber also ordered me one sheet.
Unfortunately, they're not in western NY, but are in central NY.

Not sure how close they are, but did you try these guys:

Atlantic Plywood Rochester
1671 Lyell Ave
Rochester, NY 14606
Phone: 1-800-801-9213

They may not sell direct but may ship to a store.

branchburner said:
http://www.kamconewengland.com/Locations/default.asp

I vote Kamco as well. They had plenty in thier MA and NH locations when I bought mine. But that was in May.

BurnIt13 said:
branchburner said:
http://www.kamconewengland.com/Locations/default.asp

I vote Kamco as well. They had plenty in thier MA and NH locations when I bought mine. But that was in May.

Maybe if the NY Kamco doesn't stock it they can special order it. The guys in NH were really helpful.

OK I found it at Atlantic Plywood but they were a distributor so I had to order it from one of their retail partners for $55 a sheet 4x8 x 1/2". Whew what a hassle!

Yep, a perennial question and search. Try finding it in the deep South sometime! When I did track it down, it was a fireplace and furnace installation shop that used it to make hearth pads. They were kind enought to sell me a sheet, but they were not taking a loss on it at the price, believe me (think it was $75 per sheet....and I would have paid $100). But, when you need it, you need it. Micore is like gold: It is where you find it.

OK so the Micore supposedly has an R factor of R1.1 (1/2"). What is the R value of ceramic (porcelin really) tile as I need to get to R1.2?

Also can I put ceramic tile directly over the micore since the Micore is some sort of ceramic board? ceramic on ceramic? Thanks much for the help here. I wondering how you cut the micore also?

OK so the Micore supposedly has an R factor of R1.1 (1/2"). What is the R value of ceramic (porcelin really) tile as I need to get to R1.2?

Also can I put ceramic tile directly over the micore since the Micore is some sort of ceramic board? ceramic on ceramic? Thanks much for the help here. I wondering how you cut the micore also?

Update: I found a spec sheet on it from USG. It is actually R1.03 and can be cut with ordinary tools. There is a guy selling a piece on ebay for local pickup only but he says

"USG Brand Micore 300 Mineral Fiber Board - Heat Shield

Micore 300 is a specialty Ceramic Fiber board from USG most commonly used for the panels inside cubicle walls due to its acoustic properties, but it is increasingly sought after as non-combustible wall and floor protection in reduced clearance coal, wood and pellet stove installations.

With an R rating of 1.03 per one 1/2" sheet, it can easily be sandwiched between the wood subfloor and 1/2" cement board with a tile or stone overlay for a combined total R value of 1.25... far exceeding the recommended radiant heat reflection for most freestanding stoves. Add a thin sheet of steel in the sandwich to meet spark and ember protection requirements as well.

Material specification sheet: http://literature.usg.com/pdf/IW803.pdf "

I guess I still have to use the cement backer board on top according to him but Im refusing to do the sheet metal too. enough is enough. Do I screw the cement board to the micore?

robertjp said:

If you go to the wiki-articles section and do a search you should find a list of materials and the R value . . . I can tell you that tile of whatever sort will not add a whole lot of R value to the hearth . . . OK, I just looked it up real quick and a quarter inch of ceramic tile is only .02 . . . I doubt porcelain tile will be much different in terms of the R value.

I have not used Micore to build a hearth, but as you discovered . . . and from what I've read . . . it is a pliant, soft material which does not add any structural support . . . from what I recall some folks make a Micore sandwich between two cement boards . . . but don't quote me on that . . . perhaps someone who has built a hearth out of Micore can give you better details on how they put things together.

I'm getting ready to build one myself. I'm putting the micor on a hardwood floor. It's nice and soft.. but I don't think it's too soft for a 900 lb piece of granite. I'll have a couple of pieces of 1/2" cement board on top, thinset to even it out and than the granite.

Got my Micor at Kamco

I contacted Kamco and they told me they can not sell it since its a USCG product, whether they where telling the truth or blowing me off I can not say. They told me to go to 'Building Specialties'

Has anyone in Southern New England had any luck finding sheets of this? If so what are the dimensions of the sheets? I am going to try to track down and contact building specialties and will post me results.

Thanks~

edit- I contacted I think Kamco in CT, looks like website is seperated off by area, kamconewengland, kamcoboston, etc..

I have four twenty by thirty six inch pieces I could sell for fifty plus shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.