Where do you keep the cat in the summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
We were in the mid 80's yesterday and I haven't had the fire going in a few days but it's back down to low 50's now and supposed to be back in the 40's tonight and tomorrow so I think I'll be enjoying another fire tonight. So it got me to thinking, once I know I'm done burning for the season where should the cat be? Engaged or not? Also I would like your opinions on if I should have the chimney cleaned or not? It's a brand new install installed 1 month ago. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the cat because I don't have one, but I wouldn't worry about a cleaning if it was dry, seasoned wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3331.JPG
I keep mine engaged... its less trouble in between seasons

LOL

I don't want to shorten the bypass gasket life so I leave mine open or closed but not locked down. Also, consider if a bird flew down the chimney. I would rather he end up in the firebox!

20150905_162818 (1).jpg
I don't want to shorten the bypass gasket life so I leave mine open or closed but not locked down. Also, consider if a bird flew down the chimney. I would rather he end up in the firebox!

The cat roams the house, at will, all seasons.

The wife was out picking the asparagus patch on Friday and came across a snake den. The dogs dug them up then that goofy orange cat started killing them. He's a great hunter. Always catching mice ! I have been blessed with great cats.