Where do you store your pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8 tons in my basement. Within 10' of my PB105 boiler.

oops, just realized your stove is down in the basement as well. My bad, Go Mets!

I have five tons of Hardwood Heat in my shed.

Attachments

• IMG00031.jpg
    IMG00031.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG00032.jpg
    IMG00032.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 437
i am getting my three tons delivered by home depot this saturday, if they wont put one of them inside my shed i may be forced to keep it outside. 2 of the 3 i bought were in the store on the floor so they were already opened and a few bags bought.....they are going to shrink wrap them for me
with that wrap and an additional tarp, i hope i will be ok leaving one ton outside
i already have one ton in the basement and will put the other two there

anyone have delivery from depot, do you think they'l drop one ton inside the shed...the door is 8 foot high

Attachments

• Pellets.JPG
    Pellets.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 401
offingmoot said:
anyone have delivery from depot, do you think they'l drop one ton inside the shed...the door is 8 foot high

They usually won't go across the yard; has to be a driveway or some sort of hard surface. They don't know whats under the ground and are afraid it could collapse or get stuck.

I go 3 tons from Home Depot, good price $249 a ton, lousey delivery. They put one in hte garage and pushed it partially with the other pallet. The 3rd pallet they left in the drive way, I wasn't home, my wife was and they told her the lift they had was too tall for a normal garage door. I rented a hand fork lift but it was a waste, the way Home Depot left pallets, I couldn't lift the pallets with out the pellets falling off, I ended up restacking all 3 pallets in the garage. At least I had help and they didn't have to go too far. They did end up replacing 13 bags that were torn because of how htey handled them. They drove them up at there expense and swapped them.

Live and learn

i have a stone driveway that wraps around the back of the house, bilko doors on one side and shed on the other, theycan back the truck down one side and be feet from the bilko and about 45 feet from the shed, i just want them to drop one inside the shed for me
anxious to see how it goes i bought 146 bags it was all they had left, what will they do when a few are ripped? should be fun!!
oh and i will def be home

Speaking of ripped bags, when I brought my first three tons home and was unloading them a bag at a time into the garage, I ripped one open. The ground was slightly wet in places from the night before when it rained. I quickly scavenged up the small spill of pellets like they were gold ingots, and sealed the bag with duct tape. Later on in the day I saw a couple of small piles of some furry stuff on the ground. Upon further inspection I discovered them to be waterlogged pellets. This is my first experience with pellets and have yet to burn a single one, but I can see why they need to be protected from excessive moisture!

gio i used yur setp in my storing/moving thread and i love it
that container seems small, how much does it hold? and how did you make it??

offingmoot said:
gio i used yur setp in my storing/moving thread and i love it
that container seems small, how much does it hold? and how did you make it??

It holds about a weeks (?) supply (7 bags) It`s a fiberboard (1/4" thick) square barrel I got at a local machine shop. I drilled afew 4-1/4 " holes in it for the in tube , air vent , and bottom chute.
Here`s a closer look at the chute / blade assembly.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/100230640.jpg

sweet and good job on that
you have to go outside once a week and open the bags up though? where do you store all the bags?
i would hate to have like 10 days worth of rain
you have the setup with a box on your deck where you dump them right??

offingmoot said:
sweet and good job on that
you have to go outside once a week and open the bags up though? where do you store all the bags?
i would hate to have like 10 days worth of rain
you have the setup with a box on your deck where you dump them right??

Right!
I store 3 pallets of pellets in the rear garage behind the house garage .
Here`s the rest of the pics that show the complete setup .
Rarely in the winter would I ever not get an opportunity to use the chute in clear weather during the course of a week but I also have 1-1/2 tons (75) bags already in the basement anyway so i`m fully prepared.
All that is really needed down there is a few spares since 7 days of stormy or wet weather isn`t going to happen too often.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/pellet_shute

great setup, where does the shopvac fit in i dont quite understand are you also cleaning the fines out with that?

offingmoot said:
great setup, where does the shopvac fit in i dont quite understand are you also cleaning the fines out with that?

I was wondering the same thing.......

macman said:
offingmoot said:

I was wondering the same thing.......

That attachment T on top collects any fines that gets thru the cloth filter since no sheet rock dust filter is made for this old Shop vac. It works just beautifully.

that part i get i remember you explaining that in another thread
what i don get is where do you have the vac hooked up to the feed system?

I believe he only uses it for stove cleaning and not for pellets.

kimeric said:
I believe he only uses it for stove cleaning and not for pellets.

That`s correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.