Where online do you buy chainsaw parts? Chainsaw and bar question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
I have a Poulan 2375 and am looking for a new bar and chain. Do you guys know of any good online sites that sell parts? Do you think it is worth upgrading my bar to solid steel or high carbon steel or should I just get the OEM bar? Also, what do you think about chains, is a standard chain OK or would an upgraded chain be more suitable? I cut about 4-6 cords of wood per year.

I suspect for your level of use you would be just as well off going to a big-box store and picking up a regular old Oregon bar and chain. 4 to 6 cords / year is pretty light use. a standard bar and chain set-up should last you severla years.

Make sure you buy the right bar and chain for that particular saw. Every saw is different, it seems, and it's easy to wind up with the wrong part or parts.

Your best bet would be to go to a dealer and have him hook you up. While he's at it, ask him to set your carburetor. Also, get a new file that's the right size for that chain.

You might pay a little more at a dealer, but you'll only have to do it once, and you can be fairly confident that it was done right. While you're there, risk it all and ask to try out a new Stihl or Husqvarna or Jonsereds. You'll be amazed at the difference.

JMO.

(In a Beavis and butthead voice) Heh, heh yeah, yeah Jonsereds, heh heh yeah yeah

A local guy is going to be able to show you the differences between the chains and what each ones virtues are.
I fiddled with my carb for a while and finally brought it to have the dealer adjust it, felt like and idiot after I got my "new" saw back.

Here are a couple. Hard to wrong here.

www.baileys-online.com
www.northwestpowertools.com

I have used these companies before and was very pleased. I will use them again. Look for the closeouts. The only caveat is this. You absolutely must know what you need and are buying. If, for instance, you buy the wrong guide bar, it may not get the lubrication it needs, or if you get the wrong pitch or gauge chain you can really screw up your saw.
You can save alot of money!

babalu87 said:
I fiddled with my carb for a while and finally brought it to have the dealer adjust it, felt like and idiot after I got my "new" saw back.

The dealer has a tachometer, which is the only sure-fire way to adjust your carb for the desired RPMs. If you try to do it by ear, you run the risk of setting it too lean, since too lean sounds just right--but it's not. Too lean and you run the risk of burning up the engine through lack of lubrication. That's another reason to buy a new saw from a dealer: New saws should be set rich for the first few hours of operation for break-in. Then they should be re-set with a tach. Usually, that's a service a dealer provides.

Yes Eric
The problem with my Jonsered was I never brought it back after the "break in" period.
It would foul plugs and be hard starting after a tank of fuel. Started fine on the cold start but once it was warmed up ......... DUH cause it was too rich.

When I buy a back-up saw it will be at a dealer closer to the house, hopefully they have a nice trade in with the bonus being it takes the same chains as my 2054 :)
Sharpen half a dozen chains and I can get a tons of wood processed.

The Jonsereds is a sweet saw, babs. Feed her premium gas and the highest quality two-cycle oil and it'll always be there for you.

Jonsereds and Husqvarna are mfg by the same company, Eltrolux of Sweden AB, but I know some dealers who are switching to the Jonsereds line from Husky because of the latter's decision to sell through big-box discount stores. They see that as irresponsible (due to the lack of after-the-sale product support) and a betrayal of their loyalty. On the former point, think about it for a minute: Nobody at Home Depot is going to re-set your carb after break-in, so you're either going to wind up with a saw that doesn't break in properly, or one that runs too rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.