Where should the flame be

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Faay

Oct 21, 2021
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Hello All, me again.
Asking for advice/opinions.
Where exactly should the pellets be burning, right next to the auger feeder or further up. I've been really looking at all the particulars this year, since we've changed out the auger, and combustion blower/motor. Not sure if the stove burned like this last year. Initial start is a full tray and nice large flame towards the edge of the pot dancing upward. Now it seems to be burning the pellets right at the auger feed point and pushing the flame out.
Harman Advance, set on 'Room Temp' and Feeder is set at 4. I've attached pictures. the nice pretty flame was right after initial startup. The rest are a few hours after running. Do I need to set the feed rate higher since this is first year with new auger.
Thanks
Kris

side view 4.jpg
front closeup.jpg
initial light.jpg
front.jpg

When flame is low,it will usually be all the way back,as your pic's. When burning on high,for a while,the flame should be from the back to the front,with about 1 inch of ash before the drop off edge.

Reactions: Faay
If that’s a Harman advance…you’re good

When flame is low,it will usually be all the way back,as your pic's. When burning on high,for a while,the flame should be from the back to the front,with about 1 inch of ash before the drop off edge.
That makes sense. I need to stop nit picking and questioning every little thing and just let it do it's thing. That tends to happen with me after doing maintenance...
Thanks for the answer.
Kris

I see the header on this post and my gut reaction is "In the Stove, I Hope"
sorry I had to say it. The devil made me do it.

yes, it's a Harman Advance. and thanks for the reply. I guess it was always like that then, and I'm just looking too closely at all the little things since we did maintenance on it.
Kris
Needs it again, looks filthy inside.

First 2 pictures in your original post... Lots of crud in there. But then it's a Harman so maybe crud is normal.

It’s the lighting in the shots I think, I just see fluffy ash in the burnpot

Looks OK to me for Harman.

Reactions: Faay