Where to buy small bundles of hardwood (only) for indoor use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeway

Jan 2, 2020
PNW
Hi everyone. This is likely among the newbiest questions here, but I’m having a surprising amount of trouble finding small hardwood bundles in stores.

Here in the Pacidic Northwest at least, small bundles sold in hardware and grocery stores seem to be a mixed bag of kiln-dried softwood and hardwood (Firebrand, Enviroflame, Hotwood). I think we have more than our fair share of pine and similar out here. I understand this from an outdoor burn perspective, but the softwoods seem to spark and crackle way too much to be safe for most indoor burns. Some pieces are just consistent fireworks from start to finish.

I have large, high quality, and flat screen covering my open fireplace. But some of these softwoods throw so many sparks that the odd one will get through the mesh, resulting in a less than relaxing burn.

I don’t have the ability to buy large amounts of firewood even in partial cords and store it outside, so I‘m unfortunately limited to bundles. And I can’t seem to consistently identify the softwoods within the bundles I can buy.

Are there any retailers or solutions I’m overlooking? Thanks in advance.

Buying in small bundles is expensive and like you mention, the wood quality varies. You might be better off buying packs of densely compressed sawdust logs or brick. We have some good options in the PNW. Where are you located?