Where to source expanded perlite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bronco9588

Jan 17, 2023
Annapolis MR
I am restoring my fireplace and replacing the insert. I just went up to the roof to inspect the flue. I do not think insulation runs the length of the flue as the throat looks clear. I would like to fill with perlite and cement mix. Flue has stainless steel liner.

1) should I go with the lightest 1:8 mix ratio?

2) Where can I source the stuff? I have searched big box stores (small bags for garden), called stove shops, and called a concrete mixing company.

Just get a premixed and ul listed liner insulation

A hydroponics store or garden center would carry it.
Usually, they only have small bags. It may take a trip to a nursery supply store to get the big bags.

Or just order the proper stuff designed and tested for use in chimneys

Usually, they only have small bags. It may take a trip to a nursery supply store to get the big bags.
From a garden center, I agree; only small bags. I have purchased huge bags of large granule perlite at my local hydroponics store for growing my chili peppers. They sell it in that form since hydro growers use 100% soilless media and go through quite a lot of it an a season. The stuff I found would be perfect for making lightweight concrete.

Or just order the proper stuff designed and tested for use in chimneys
Like this?

Like this?
Yes there are lots of different brands. Thermix chimmix everguard etc etc