Which companies make good chimney products?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annette

Nov 19, 2005
the Indiana Riviera
Visit site
And how can I tell the difference?

I got my estimate, and I think I will be installing the stove and chimney myself. My house is a short 1-story, and I was quoted $1200 for the parts and $700 for the installation.

If I can afford it I'd like to go with chimney parts that are "mid-grade," but what is that, standard-wise? Who sells it? Whose stuff is the cheap stuff? If the gauge the guide, or just the alloy? Please advise! (Just to give an idea of what I need, it will be 6" flue, double-walled to the 8' ceiling.)

annette said:
And how can I tell the difference?

I got my estimate, and I think I will be installing the stove and chimney myself. My house is a short 1-story, and I was quoted $1200 for the parts and $700 for the installation.

If I can afford it I'd like to go with chimney parts that are "mid-grade," but what is that, standard-wise? Who sells it? Whose stuff is the cheap stuff? If the gauge the guide, or just the alloy? Please advise! (Just to give an idea of what I need, it will be 6" flue, double-walled to the 8' ceiling.)

Most of the class A chimney on the market is decent stuff. I sold Metalbestos, Hart and Cooley (metalvent) as well as Pro-Jet and had very few problems over 20 years.

If you are installing the stove yourself, you might be able to dig up DIY discounts. For instance, our shop used to give at least 10% off chimney systems to DIY'ers. The local Plumbing and Heating shops, if you can find one that stocks all the right fittings, might give as much as 25-30% off list price to anyone.

In some areas, Lowes and similar stores sell chimney systems. The main thing there is that you assure yourself that they have 100% of the fittings that you need.

Neither the gauge or the alloy is the guide. Personally, I would be satisfied with most any of the known brands on the market - Excel has a reputation as being the best (and dealers say it is true), but I have not studied the difference.

Alloy, warranty, experience - all things you'll pay for if a professional does the install. They're the ones responsible if the roof leaks, getting the permit (which you'll need) and making sure the rest of the job is done right. Of course that implies that the company you got the bid from is reputable.

If you're going to do it, get the best you can afford and do it right. Do you want air cooled or solid pack insulation? Stainless steel or galvinized? Using a slip connect to make the final hook up? As mentioned, make sure you can get all the parts you need if you go somewhere like Lowes. Usually they have a base kit and special order stuff can take forever.

Personally, our company installs DuraTech chimney by Simpson Duravent. Best stuff out there and competitvely priced. Stainless steel in and out and solid pack insulation. I put one up on my house and vent a Quadrafire 4100 through it. I've had the stovepipe a littlt hot on occasion (not saying how hot but it was ...hot) and just for chuckles I went out to see how hot the chimney was. I could put my hand on it about 3 feet above the thimble and it was just warm. I love the stuff.

All of the well known companies make great products. As with any product that has been on the market as long as HT vent, most of the valuable features carry across all of the companies. Important considerations are customer service and reputation. Also, a warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it.

I've got a 25-foot Duratech (galvanized inside with a stainless section through the roof) and it's great. Easy to install and even take down, if it ever comes to that. I sleep a lot easier at night having done the work myself and knowing it's done right. The pipe itself is relatively cheap, but (probably like all mfgrs), they get you on the essential fittings like caps and black-pipe connectors (all proprietary). The whole set-up was just over $800, I think.

I ended up with 20' of ventinox 316 ti and 5' of Homesaver 304 to get through the damper. The ventinox is so much easier to work with (much lighter, and you can cut it with ordinary tin snips), but I'm glad i've got the heavier stuff running through the damper where it might rub. The ventinox was also pretty inexpensive - 20/ft for 8" round - and apparently they're pretty much the oldest name in the business inthe US.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.