Which Elm is this? Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JuanB1961

Sep 17, 2022
CNY
Forgive me folks, I’m old and never started a post/thread before, so let me know what I’m doing wrong. Anyway, I cut down what I believe is Elm but not sure which. Got it narrowed down to Red/Slippery, America/white, Rock or Siberian. I’m in upstate NY. Buds and twigs are NOT hairy and tree is about 80-100’ and slender crown. Looked all over web and couldn’t matchup heartwood and bark.
Thanks, Juan

IMG_4333.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

That’s American. You’ll know for sure when you get to splitting.
Thanks. Yeah, I finally had to buy a splitter tears ago after splitting over a cord of this stuff by hand with wedges. Even though I have much better wood to burn(b. Locust, Ash, Maple) I’ve got too much Elm to ignore.

I hand split so if i really want to keep something like elm (which i really don't ever want) , then i'll cut them into shorts . That's 8"-9" cuts that will hand split and then use them North South in my East West style stove.

The shorts do burn great N/S, but the stacks to dry them are not great.

Elm
Makes its own kindling when you split it
The biggest reason I bought a hydro
Fence lines full of dead standing American Elm
We cut and split every 3 to 4 years
Love to burn it

I get a lot of red elm. To help you distinguish in the future: With red elm, the layer I am indicating in red in this photo would be bright white. That layer is what gives slippery elm the "slippery".

Screenshot_20240417_060025_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: bigealta