Which hydraulic fluid should I use in my wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthEastBeastCT

Aug 21, 2020
Vernon, ct
I recently purchased a new champion 27 ton wood splitter. I need to change hydraulic fluid for the first time. The manual calls for iso32. Im looking for suggestions on what is the best fluid I should use. I split about 15 cords a year and live in Connecticut. I use in summer and in winter when Temperatures drop to 25 and lower

If you don't want to buy synthetic oil for the cold ,i would use ATF it stays thinner in the cold.
But are you talking real cold?
I can start my splitter at -20C without it being plugged in.I have synthetic in the Honda engine and ATF in the hydroilic side.

If you don't want to buy synthetic oil for the cold ,i would use ATF it stays thinner in the cold.
But are you talking real cold?
I can start my splitter at -20C without it being plugged in.I have synthetic in the Honda engine and ATF in the hydroilic side.
It doesn't get that cold where I am. Winter temperatures i use it are no less than 15 - 30 degrees. I'd be looking for a good hydraulic oil that I can use year round.

It doesn't get that cold where I am. Winter temperatures i use it are no less than 15 - 30 degrees. I'd be looking for a good hydraulic oil that I can use year round.

I split mostly in winter.. using an aw32.. I have split in the summer also but its much. Its more enjoyable for me in the cooler temperatures.. theres bee no issues in the past starting the splitter in temperatures below 20 for me.. I do let the splitter run and warm up a bit prior to running at full RPMs

Reactions: JimBear
I exclusively use Bobcat’s hydraulic oil in everything. It displaces any moisture better than anything I’ve ever seen. A bit pricey but, worth it.