Which Jotul 118 do I have and advice on install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FBFL is COLD

Jan 7, 2017
Florida
I bought an old Jotul 118. The seller said that he thinks it is a 118b. He didn't have the owner's manual but he had a sweet book about the art of heating with wood that showed the benefits of many Jotuls. On the book it was handwritten that they had purchased in 1977 for $1700.00 but it only said "118" with no letters. begreen was kind enough to post an owner’s manual for the Jotul F 118. What is the difference between a Jotul 118b and F 118?

I am trying to get an idea of how much I will spend getting it installed and would like to do as much as possible on my own-with the help of my boyfriend.

I am sending a picture of where it will go. Not the best picture! The wall is 9 feet long and 8 feet 11 inches tall. The chimney is behind the wall and the center is 37 inches from the left side.

I will send a picture of the front of the stove. That is the best picture as I can get as it is still in the back of my SUV.

My boyfriend said our chimney is 16X16 brick with a 7 inch tile liner packed with poured concrete.

I will upload a few pix.

Will you please tell me what is specifically needed regarding chimney pipe/ stove pipe, will a dura rock heat shield with stone mortared on it one inch from the wall work, how big should the heat shield be and what are the clearances if I do indeed have an old 118b? I don't want someone selling me something we could carefully make. Begreen was kind enough to suggest the following:

Have CSIA chimney sweep evaluate the chimney for its integrity and safety for this installation. Have that person also give a quote for installation. There are specific details and steps that one must follow to tap into an existing chimney. It will need an insulated wall thimble. A good sweep/installer can help with this. Go to www.csia.org and enter your zip code to find a registered sweep in your area.

The hearth (floor liner) should be non-combustible and extend 8" behind and to the sides of the stove and 16" in front. You could make this out of bricks with sand between them or bricks on sheet metal.

My boyfriend said we don't need insulated pipe and that the chimney sales guys will tell me that I need it. If the chimney is solid, is single wall pipe with an insulated wall thimble acceptable? What do you think as I am on a budget but want to be safe but don't want to be taken advantage of.

Thanks for reading this and any advice you may provide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 282
My boyfriend said our chimney is 16X16 brick with a 7 inch tile liner packed with poured concrete.
If it really is packed with poured concrete that is a problem it will destroy the chimney structure when those tiles expand the clay is supposed to have a space between it and the outer structure.

Then you also need a space between the chimney structure and and combustible material for fire safety reasons. If you chimney is inside the house you need 2" if it is exterior it needs 1". If you don't have this the whole length of the chimney you do in fact need an insulated liner to meet code and be safe. The problem is that if your liners are poured solid in the chimney there will be no way to remove those tiles in order to make room for an insulated liner.

So yes you need a qualified sweep to come out and inspect things.

If it really is packed with poured concrete that is a problem it will destroy the chimney structure when those tiles expand the clay is supposed to have a space between it and the outer structure.

Then you also need a space between the chimney structure and and combustible material for fire safety reasons. If you chimney is inside the house you need 2" if it is exterior it needs 1". If you don't have this the whole length of the chimney you do in fact need an insulated liner to meet code and be safe. The problem is that if your liners are poured solid in the chimney there will be no way to remove those tiles in order to make room for an insulated liner.

So yes you need a qualified sweep to come out and inspect things.
Oh Crap! Sounds like a bunch of money! Well worth it to be safe, though. Thanks for the info. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, again.

Oh Crap! Sounds like a bunch of money! Well worth it to be safe, though. Thanks for the info. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, again.
Without knowing the condition of the liners or if you have proper clearance I cant give you much more advice but I gladly will answer any questions especially if you get more info on your chimney.

And btw it may be fine but from my experience I can tell you that very few chimneys do have the required clearance.

Without knowing the condition of the liners or if you have proper clearance I cant give you much more advice but I gladly will answer any questions especially if you get more info on your chimney.

And btw it may be fine but from my experience I can tell you that very few chimneys do have the required clearance.

Thanks, again. It has always been our plan to have someone inspect the chimney. Because of begreen's advice, I contacted CSIA chimney guys instead of using a local guy. I have emailed and called three of them. I have not heard back yet. I just wanted to have some knowledge before the inspection. Can you tell me more about clearances? I have not even been able to find the current code in Florida for wood stove installs. When I called the local building permit office and asked if they could email it to me with the permit forms, the girl told me that I could find it online and that they use the Florida building codes. For the permit, I have to send them the owners manual and a floor plan showing where it will be installed. I assume they want the owners manual to make sure it is far enough away from everything but we want to put up a heat shield so it will closer than what is in the owners manual. Speaking of owners manuals, begreen was kind enough to send me one for the Jotul F 118 but when I bought the stove, the seller said he thinks it is a 118b. I don't even know what kind of Jotul I have! I must sound like a dunce but I'm trying to figure all of this out and I have overwhelmed myself!