which log splitter should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say it again, a super split would save me maybe an hour or two a year, and given the type of wood I split and the quantity it's not inherently faster than a hydro if I short cycle the unit like I usually do.
Yes with three people cutting and splitting you can knock out a big charge of wood. I cut off the pile two tanks full with my 371 and 372xp. I jamb up the splitters and have time to refuel while they split.
Fastest way to split is by hand!
but solo working is different. its what's best for the individual.

Yes with three people cutting and splitting you can knock out a big charge of wood. I cut off the pile two tanks full with my 371 and 372xp. I jamb up the splitters and have time to refuel while they split.
Fastest way to split is by hand!
but solo working is different. its what's best for the individual.
An old thread but I'll add my .02... I was looking at the huskee, but then saw the design and layout of the Ariens. Like the motor in the front away from the splitting, also like the Subaru vs Kohler. The trunnion mounted cylinder makes me a bit nervous, but there haven't been any reports recently of anything going haywire with those units. Ariens does have a 3 yr warranty too and made in Wis. Was set on the 22 ton ariens but HD was out so I talked them into selling me the 27 ton for the price of the 22. Couldn't pass it up! Should be delivered in a few weeks!

Reactions: motorsägen
Old thread but I like the Ariens line of products. I have a Ariens snow blower and I am really happy with it.

I have a 20 ton powerhorse, bi-directional splitter. Sold by northern tool. I bought from a northern retail store for $925. It has the same size pump and cylinder specs as the TSC 22 ton huskee. I have split some knotty Elm, and it hasn't failed yet. I haven't found anything it wouldn't split, plus you get the benefit of two direction splitting! The engine is very fuel efficient and easy starting.
It probably only splits horizontal though right? My 22 ton is not as fast but will go vertical which is so nice. I always hated the sledge and wedge system. I think I spent about $1100 a few years back.

It probably only splits horizontal though right? My 22 ton is not as fast but will go vertical which is so nice. I always hated the sledge and wedge system. I think I spent about $1100 a few years back.
Yes, it is only horizontal. I have a tractor with a FEL if I need to lift a big piece, but haven't had anything I couldn't lift by hand yet. The working height of the Powerhorse is a little higher than most, so I don't have to bend over at all while splitting, other than to grab wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.