Which one is better on paper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerjoe

Aug 18, 2006
New Brunswick, Kanata
Hi guys,

Here is the two available brands of pellets that I can get in my area.

http://www.shawresources.ca/popwindow_frames.asp?item_id=200

http://www.comfycozypellets.com/Specs.htm

I am curious, which one based on the listed specs is better?
(I know they are probably inflated, but just to have an idea).

Earlier this year when I bought the stove I got 25bags of eastern embers.

I also bought a couple bags of comfy cozy. My opinion at the time was that it seems that comfy pellets burned better and produced more heat and seemed to last longer.

I also found that eastern embers created alot of ash. I didnt use 50bags of pellets but the ashtray of my harman accentra was full and on top of that there was ash all over the place. (bad design of the stove really, the ashtray should cover the whole bottom of the stove not just the middle.)

I thought that pellets would leave less ash than that.
Also the glass of the stove got covered with soot quickly.

Hammerjoe said:
Hi guys,

I also bought a couple bags of comfy cozy. My opinion at the time was that it seems that comfy pellets burned better and produced more heat and seemed to last longer.

I also found that eastern embers created alot of ash. I didnt use 50bags of pellets but the ashtray of my harman accentra was full and on top of that there was ash all over the place. (bad design of the stove really, the ashtray should cover the whole bottom of the stove not just the middle.)

I think you have answerred your own question. Doesn't matter which one is better in theory. what matters is what works best for you in practice.

--

In theory, there is no differance between practice and theory. In practice...

The ash pan is made the way it is because of what is located behind it at the bottom of the firebox... The combustion blower.. Without air flow your stove would not run. What is more important, a stove that burns or all your ashes falling into the ash pan?

You're not the first to mention a particular brand of pellets seems to burn noticeably better than another. But, it's different for everyone. Same here for the 2 people at my work that have pellet stoves. The first pellet guy told the other, that brand X runs so smooth, burns so hot and clean it's pointless to use other brands. The second guy bought them as well and didn't know how bad they ran in his until he ran out, and picked up a few bags of another brand and he'll never go back. Neither using the brand that works best in the others burns as well in their units so, find what pellets work best in your unit & installation and stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.