Which one to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Drolet ECO 65 or the Enviro Max? Both blow heat out the top and that`s what I need. I`d like to hear the pros and cons from anyone who knows anything about either one? The Drolet is $2661 with free shipping from Dynamite Buys. I must research them too.

On the Maxx, They can be slightly pellet picky with some of the high ash brands.

While you are checking the prices. Ask about the Maxx M. Looks exactly the same except its a self cleaner multifueler. You'll be able to run a solid week easy and no fussing with the burnpot. It well eat about any pellet so you can save a few coins with the cheapier fuel. Plus you won't be locked into just pellets, It will burn multifuels as well. So if something changes down the road, You will have a wider scope of fuels to look at. Not much available now, But things might change.

I like the Omega-Maxx stoves because they have massive heat exchanges. Very good at putting the heat in the house and not out the vent. Just changing from my bigE to the Omega saved me fuel. Pretty sure its because of the better heat exchange.

jtakeman said:
On the Maxx, They can be slightly pellet picky with some of the high ash brands.

While you are checking the prices. Ask about the Maxx M. Looks exactly the same except its a self cleaner multifueler. You'll be able to run a solid week easy and no fussing with the burnpot. It well eat about any pellet so you can save a few coins with the cheapier fuel. Plus you won't be locked into just pellets, It will burn multifuels as well. So if something changes down the road, You will have a wider scope of fuels to look at. Not much available now, But things might change.

I like the Omega-Maxx stoves because they have massive heat exchanges. Very good at putting the heat in the house and not out the vent. Just changing from my bigE to the Omega saved me fuel. Pretty sure its because of the better heat exchange.

Thanks J. Thats a good point to consider . I`d lean toward the Maxx (M) if I can get one at a decent price . I want to get all this planning and info together now and not wait until the fall to decide. I got a feeling we might be seeing another stove shortage and pellet shortage scare like we saw a few years ago.

PM forum member Fyrebug for info regarding the 65. They have ran that stove through the ringer.

Both are great units. The Drolet does not have a tube type heat exchange system. That may be a downfall, but it may not be.

The bottom feed is very similar to Harmans.

The Maxx can be adjusted from 50,000, 60,000, or 70,000. Its a top feed and if you get the Maxx-M, the agitator will help extend the cleaning intervals on the pot.

Both have good points and bad points. The price on the Drolet was only $1,999 last month. They may go back down again. They May Not also...

I love my Maxx.
It is a concrete basement warming beast. :vampire:

1D

1Dtml said:
I love my max.

1D

1D, Couple of Q's for you to help Gio.

Is there any pellet that gives your maxx fits(pellet back up or multiple daily pot cleaning/scraping)?

How many days can you go without touching the burnpot?

jtakeman said:
1Dtml said:
I love my max.

1D

1D, Couple of Q's for you to help Gio.

Is there any pellet that gives your maxx fits(pellet back up or multiple daily pot cleaning/scraping)?

How many days can you go without touching the burnpot?

Hi Jay,

I purchased my Maxx used and it is one of the earlier units, but the previous owner had made some modifications to the burnpot, and ignitor, so I'm not sure what is applicable with my unit.

But I can tell you two occasions where there was a problem:

Two times the ignition failed to light the pellets, so I had to clean the burnpot and restart:

The first time I had gone from a hot burning/low ash pellet (Somerset) to a MWP pellets without tuning the stove for the difference in pellets. I read the manual and had to change to more pellets being fed, and I also tuned the flame and closed the damper a bit (less air). These two changes solved the problem, and made the MWP pellets burn much hotter and cleaner.

The second time I added dried cherry pits to the pellet mix (I know I don't have a "M", so technically I shouldn't do this), and this resulted in the same problem, so I won't be adding cherry pits any longer. ;-)

I will add a very important point.
I run my stove on automatic setting, so it doesn't run at low heat range unless in shut down mode. This allows for a very clean burn, so I don't have much burnpot build up.
If I ran the stove on High/Low settings and it idled on low for long periods of time I think I would need to clean the burnpot much more often.

Before the two misfires I would clean the burnpot every few days. After testing for stove adjustments I tend to clean the burnpot everyday because it takes less than five minutes to dump the ash out of the burnpot and clean the glass.

Having said all of this I don't really have to scrape the burnpot, for all that is in there is a light and fluffy layer of ash that I just dump out.

1D

PS: I have only run Somerset, MWP, and AWF pellets, so far in the Maxx stove.
I can highly recommend upgrading to the Maxx "M" version because I never have had any problem with my GCI60/M55 insert, which is basically the "M" version in a smaller shell.

Gio, are you replacing any of your existing units?

I would be replacing my Harman P38.

In my area we do not have a good choice of quality pellets. No Okies or anything that good , mostly shoulder quality stuff with average to high ash content.
My P38 burns anything and there`s no fooling with adjustments so anything else might end up being a PIA for me to get used to.

DexterDay said:
PM forum member Fyrebug for info regarding the 65. They have ran that stove through the ringer.

Both are great units. The Drolet does not have a tube type heat exchange system. That may be a downfall, but it may not be.

The Maxx can be adjusted from 50,000, 60,000, or 70,000. Its a top feed and if you get the Maxx-M, the agitator will help extend the cleaning intervals on the pot.

Both have good points and bad points. The price on the Drolet was only $1,999 last month. They may go back down again. They May Not also...

Dexter, Where did you see that $1,999 price on the Drolet?

Gio said:
DexterDay said:

Dexter, Where did you see that $1,999 price on the Drolet?
Northern Tools. They must have sold them all because now they have none for sale. I'm in the process of working threw a few hiccups with my Drolet eco 65. Its still to new for me to give you an honest opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.