Which Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyPirate

Aug 17, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello to all....First time poster....

Taking the plunge to purchase a pellet stove for our main floor. We have a lower level with fireplace and I initially wanted an insert but am concerned about heat transfer (and we don't spend much time in that room anyways). So, have pretty much decided on a freestanding stove in the main floor where we spend most of our time (LR, kitchen, DR).

Been to a couple dealers over the past month and was surprised at total cost (including install). Are these reasonable and what I should expect?

Regency gc60 - 5500
Regency gf55 - 4100
Quadrafire classic - 4100

Also looked at Harman Accentra and Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE, which were over 5200, but salesman thought either might be overkill (he recommended QF classic).

Any thoughts?

Now I know why we went used. Probably about right for all inclusive. We would need to know how much your trying to heat before making a guess. Other factors like how difficult and where install is too.
Welcome

House is 2200 sq ft but only trying to heat main floor primarily and 2nd floor secondary. Bottom floor we're not concerned about and is about 250 sq ft. Think of a sideways Y for the layout of the house, with the install being on the main.

Surprised by these prices including install and curious if this is the norm.

My stove cost about $5000 which includes the stove, hearth pad, exhaust pipe, wall thimble and installation.

House is 2200 sq ft but only trying to heat main floor primarily and 2nd floor secondary. Bottom floor we're not concerned about and is about 250 sq ft. Think of a sideways Y for the layout of the house, with the install being on the main.

Surprised by these prices including install and curious if this is the norm.
Do you know anyone that has this type of stove? You could visit with them and after looking at a typical install do it your self. and save money. Same thing with maintenance if you know someone that has what you want listen to what they say about it. I have taught several people how to run their stoves and even how to do repairs if needed. Its not rocket science relatively easy if you have some cheap wrenches and a little time. Some stoves can be connected to a computer and it will check out 47 functions on the stove to tell you what is going on.

Don't know anyone with any of these. Somewhat new to the area. Not sure my wife would let me attempt our own install, which is probably a good idea.
We did our own with a new Harman P61A, it was still the better part of $4500 by the time we finished. It took a few hours on a Sat afternoon minus some minor details to finish up, we were heating with the stove that night.. But that was dealer supplied piping etc, no real break. In hind sight it would have been less expensive to order install items online. We felt cheap isn't every thing or we would have bought a cheaper stove to begin with. We wanted to support a local as well and may need him down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.