Which stove to buy....(Already read the sticky thread)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gan111

Oct 3, 2019
Baltimore County
Very new to this. I have a 3200sqft house and want to take some of the load off my oil boiler (not using it as a sole heat source). I have a downstairs fireplace that has some smoking problems and hoping that a wood stove would solve my issues. I don't really like the look of the inserts and like the style of a cast iron stove which I would heart mount. The fireplace dimension are 46 wide 30.5 inches high and 43 inches deep. The Jotul Stoves appeal to me aesthetically. Does this plan seem to make sense? How big a stove can I get that will fit? What are some other brands or models that I should consider to meet my needs.

Are you looking for a stove to set partially inside the existing fireplace with a top exit from the stove into your chimney? That will be very limited options.

What is the size of your hearth? Are you planning to set a taller than firebox opening stove out on the hearth with a rear exit into the existing fireplace, or top exit with a hole punched through the brickwork partway up the living room wall?

Are you looking for a stove to set partially inside the existing fireplace with a top exit from the stove into your chimney? That will be very limited options.

What is the size of your hearth? Are you planning to set a taller than firebox opening stove out on the hearth with a rear exit into the existing fireplace, or top exit with a hole punched through the brickwork partway up the living room wall?

Planning on a stove set partially inside the existing fireplace with the top exit from the stove into the chimney. From the opening of the fireplace the hearth extends 17.5inches.

You will want a large stove in the fireplace if the downstairs area is wide open and heat can easily convect up the stairs. Is the stairwell wide, open and close to the fireplace area with no partitions between? The big Jotuls are primarily side-loaders. To use that feature it will push the stove a bit further out onto the hearth.

It could be that you are fighting negative pressure downstairs. If so, the stove may not cure this issue. Some things that can make negative pressure worse are exhaust fans, house ventilators, unsealed attic entrances and vents, competing appliances like clothes dryer, gas hw heater, boiler, etc..

You will want a large stove in the fireplace if the downstairs area is wide open and heat can easily convect up the stairs. Is the stairwell wide, open and close to the fireplace area with no partitions between? The big Jotuls are primarily side-loaders. To use that feature it will push the stove a bit further out onto the hearth.

It could be that you are fighting negative pressure downstairs. If so, the stove may not cure this issue. Some things that can make negative pressure worse are exhaust fans, house ventilators, unsealed attic entrances and vents, competing appliances like clothes dryer, gas hw heater, boiler, etc..

The floor plan is open and the stairwell is a wide open design. The Jotul 500 has both a side and front door. I was assuming I could just use the front door.

The house isn't incredibly well sealed... I had cracked a door to see if this was a problem and it did not solve the problem.

Thanks

It is possible to rear vent from a freestanding stove, on a hearth in front, into the existing fireplace? That's the route I would go.

It is possible to rear vent from a freestanding stove, on a hearth in front, into the existing fireplace? That's the route I would go.
Yes that's what I did with the Progress Hybrid but Jotuls also rear vent, that's the best way to di it with your big fireplace.

Yes that's what I did with the Progress Hybrid but Jotuls also rear vent, that's the best way to di it with your big fireplace.

Good call, I did the same with the Jotul F45 at my last house. You'll need to check the height, on mine I needed the short leg kit.