Whirlpool cloths washer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
hey all,
ok the machine is old....~10 yrs. havent moved it out for a model # yet.
the agitator doesnt really "grind" back and forth like it should, and rotate the cloths. just kind of seems loose.
BUT if i apply a little pressure with my thumb on the top of the agitator, it begins to twist back and forth like it should.

any ideas on where i should start before i wing it?
...... or is this a common problem with easy fix?

seems like it should be a simple fix, but I'm clueless as to what i'm lookng for.

um, i pulled the cap of the agitator off, everything looked ok, tight and accounted for... but i like the "add a washer" idea.
i dread pulling this thing apart, with a family of 4 i cant go with out it if i screw up and cant get it back together.
but you can tell by watching it, its not really cleaning the cloths.
thanks Reese.

Sounds like the agitator is stripped out. Pull off the center cap, remove the stud that holds it down and yank up on the agitator. If you can't get the stud out because the shaft is spinning, you will have to lock the transmission. Somewhere on the timer dial is a mark that has no explanation. Setting it there will put the machine in the agitate mode without water and lock the transmission to the motor and let you undo the stud holding the agitator down (shut it off, obviously). The agitator has internal splines that seat on the transmission shaft coming up through the tub. In the old days, there was a block that could be replaced, but I think it's one piece now. I haven't heard of any temporary fixes that work, so you will probably need to replace the whole agitator.

Look for the 7 digit FSP part number that will probably be on the bottom of the agitator. Plug that number into Google and see what hits you get. It's probably about $50 for a new one. Make sure the shaft splines aren't buggerd up or you will be doing this again soon.

PM me if you run into problems. I used to service appliances and Whirlpools were my favorites!

Chris

oh chris you rock.
i will let you know when i get the tear down started.if i can tonight.
i appreciate it !

You need part# 80040 agitator dogs. Should be 4 of them in a pack. I'm an appliance parts dealer. That is what you need.

geez, forums are a marvelous place.
you all kick ass.
I'm goning to attack it just to make sure, you guys will be the first to know.

edit
yo checked out the "agitator dogs" ..... online, your probably right, sounds liek the symptoms.
got a nice breakdown pic too.

wish i could get out of work and go get this done.
between wife and 2 kids, laundry down is a code red situation.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a two piece agitator. I thought Sears was the only one using them...

Chris

Redox said:
Sorry, I didn't realize you had a two piece agitator. I thought Sears was the only one using them...

Chris

dont apologize man, you gave me great direction, and more then anything you took the time out to give input.
i pulled it apart last night... it is those little 'dogs'.
gonna see if i can grab them locally and get back up running.
again you guys kick ass, I cant thank you enough.... you know this would have at least been a $75.00 housecall to service co.

hope i can return some good info to you all one day!

To get you by I have taken out the worn agitator dogs and "sharpened" the teeth on them with a file until my new parts came in...

um, might just have to do that... but honestly, there is like nothing left of them on that side, its totally flattened out, and one is cracked.
i gotta assume HDepot doesnt carry these, going to call the local appliance repair/sales place near by @10:00.
if i have to order, i will try to sharpen, worst it can do is still not work right.

YOU GUYS KICK ASS!!

~10.00 shipped, a few minutes install, and my cloths are cleaner then ever.

I cant thank you all enough.

Hope I can get you back one day.

Way to go Moondoggy. I have an older Kitchenaid washer that stopped spinning. Did some checking and found it is most likely the motor coupler. Ordered one and have the job started. Yes, these forums are a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.