Anyone ever remove a blaze king door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
Im trying to remove my blaze king boxer door to adjust the hinges. The manual lists three simple steps: open door 90 degrees, hold bottom 9/16 nuts use a 1/4" allen head screwdriver to back off the hinge bolt, and remove the door. Which tells me the door should come off relatively easily, except mine isnt. First off, oblong lock nuts are used to keep the door hinge bolt tight yet allow easy opening/closing, I understand that. I managed to get the top hinge nut removed with quite a bit of effort using a wrench on the bottom nut and holding onto the allen head. But the bottom hinge nut is so tight the only way I can get it to budge is with a 10" extension pipe on the end of my ratchet. But even that came to an end when the bolts threads came flush with the bottom of the lock nut. At this point I'm not even able to just tighten the hinge bolt back up I can hardly budge it in any direction. I'm beginning to think the bottom hinge bolt on this new stove was perhaps cross threaded at the factory and thats why the door is sagging in the first place. I've dealt with oblong lock nuts before but nothing like this. Since this stove is under warranty the dealer has passed me onto the factory to aid with door being out of level. I havent heard from the factory yet, but its a given I'll be doing the repair myself and the door needs to be removed. If the stove wasnt such a pain to get in and out of the house, I'd take a cutting torch to it. I'd grind it off but there is no room for that either. There is just no way these hinge bolts are suppose to be this hard to remove especially if a new gasket is ever to be installed or glass replaced. I feel helpless, I can loosen or tighten the hinge bolt, Ideas?

Mine looks a tad off also. It's the nature of the beast I believe. The latching mechanism on this model does it. Pushes down on the handle end of the door. Gotta look pretty darn close to notice. Guessing your gasket must have shown a poor seal requiring adjustment? Funny the dealer didn't mess with it if it was wrong/not functioning as a floor model? Weird. I have no idea why you can't get it apart.

Mine looks a tad off also. It's the nature of the beast I believe. The latching mechanism on this model does it. Pushes down on the handle end of the door. Gotta look pretty darn close to notice. Guessing your gasket must have shown a poor seal requiring adjustment? Funny the dealer didn't mess with it if it was wrong/not functioning as a floor model? Weird. I have no idea why you can't get it apart.
I agree on the lock pushing the door down, but I measure the distance without locking the door and it’s off 3/8 inch from hinge to latch. The gasket looks like it’s working but seals on the very top of the gasket near the latch rather than the center like it should.

Anyway, the hinge bolt snapped off as I decided to just tighten it back up instead of removing it. I’m not surprised as hard as the nut was turning. Something wasn right there to begin with. A nut should never turn that hard. Now I need a new hinge bolt.